Need a strobe to compliment my Sea and Sea YS-D1, and arms

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Snoobles

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I have a Canon G7X Mark II in a Recsea case and currently have a Sea and Sea YS-D1. I would like to get a second strobe, and want it to work complimentary to my D1. I personally would have gone for another D1 if I could find one at a reasonable price new. I also have a Sola 800 video light and a wet mount macro lens and wide angle lens.

Also has anyone used flex arms? I currently have some bulky ones and am thinking of getting the https://www.housingcamera.com/id2676-mozaik-moz-bts-dual-pink-126.html mozaik arms. I know I should go rigid arms, but have always used this type and didn't want to change up too much.

Any advice on either the strobe or arms appreciated!!

I have the same question. I have an Olympus OMD EM5 Mark II with a Olympus housing and one YS D1 Strobe. Looking for a second strobe and wondering what would be best. They've discontinued the YS D1 and the D-2 is close to $700. Would a YS-01 be a good choice?

>> COMPLIMENT FOR MY STROBE<<

OK I’ll bite. That’s a nice setup and you look great underwater. :yeahbaby:

I would look for a used D1 or D2 rather than go with the YS-01. The difference in output and cycling time, while manageable, add one more thing to deal with. It is really preferable to have a match, or close match, between your strobes and I've seen lots of good used D1s on the market over time. I've tried a D2 on one side and a -03 on the other, and was much happier when I got a second D2.

I think flex arms are great for very compact rigs - like a GoPro with a couple of modest video lights. But to really take advantage of those nice big strobes,it's much better to get them further from the camera than those flex arms allow. Plus, the rigid arms fold up smaller (no minimum radius), support the strobes and lock in place better, are more suitable for buoyancy aids if you need them, and offer better options to upgrade.

I would wait and get another D1, they are popular because they have been very reliable and output is good.

I use a D1 and a SnS YS-110A using the 110 as a fill flash, which it does pretty well. On a couple of dives last week I adjusted the power on both flashes and noticed the D1 was too strong for the 110 and instead of fill flash the D1 threw shadows and overpowered the 110. So as another poster stated you need to understand issues from different flashes.

Also had an Inon 240 with the Sns 110 and using different flashes took a bit of getting used to. Flooded the Inon and bought the D1 with min. risk of a flood due to sealed battery compartment. Won't buy anything but SnS now.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom