need a quick fix to lose steel spring straps

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

awap:
You will need to shorten the springs. Disaassemble the spring from whatever device is holding the ends. Cut off a loop or 2 of the spring. Use a flat tip screwdriver inserted thru the side of the spring and out the end to raise a new connection loop. reassemble and try the fit.

If it gets too short, that can also be adjusted by stretching the spring beyond its recovery capacity. This is another adjustment that should be done a little bit at a time.

Before final assembly, attach a length of cave line to whatever is engaging the loops on the ends of the springs. This line should be an inch or 2 longer than the springs. The idea is to limit the travel of the spring so they can't be overstretched while not interfering with donning and doffing.

here are my springs, i cant seem to find a way to detach the spring from the connectors better yet insert a string through em.

Spoon:
here are my springs, i cant seem to find a way to detach the spring from the connectors better yet insert a string through em.
You need to open up the wire clips that attach the spring straps to your fins, wide enough to slip them out from the round dowel, then the spring will come free and you can follow AWAP's instructions. You'll also be able to insert the line, too.

Here's the bad (or good) part. Once you've successfully done all this, you will had done almost everything it takes to make the things yourself from scratch! :D

Rick Inman:
You need to open up the wire clips that attach the spring straps to your fins, wide enough to slip them out from the round dowel, then the spring will come free and you can follow AWAP's instructions. You'll also be able to insert the line, too.

Here's the bad (or good) part. Once you've successfully done all this, you will had done almost everything it takes to make the things yourself from scratch! :D

thanks rick i finally understand how to do them now, now if i decide to make another pair from scratch, where do i buy the springs from? hehe i got a new project now.

Spoon:
thanks rick i finally understand how to do them now, now if i decide to make another pair from scratch, where do i buy the springs from? hehe i got a new project now.
McMaster Carr is where you get the springs. Do a search under the DIY (Do It Yourself) forum and you'll find a thread with everything you need to know, including links and part numbers (and a picture of the ones I've made with the great help of those on this board who know better).

Have fun!

Rick Inman:
McMaster Carr is where you get the springs. Do a search under the DIY (Do It Yourself) forum and you'll find a thread with everything you need to know, including links and part numbers (and a picture of the ones I've made with the great help of those on this board who know better).

Have fun!

i live in the philippines bro so getting those parts will be tough. il be sourcing mine locally so i will have to make do with the local stuff.

Back
Top Bottom