need a quick fix to lose steel spring straps

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You will need to shorten the springs. Disaassemble the spring from whatever device is holding the ends. Cut off a loop or 2 of the spring. Use a flat tip screwdriver inserted thru the side of the spring and out the end to raise a new connection loop. reassemble and try the fit.

If it gets too short, that can also be adjusted by stretching the spring beyond its recovery capacity. This is another adjustment that should be done a little bit at a time.

Before final assembly, attach a length of cave line to whatever is engaging the loops on the ends of the springs. This line should be an inch or 2 longer than the springs. The idea is to limit the travel of the spring so they can't be overstretched while not interfering with donning and doffing.

I am not sure if Spoon wants to dis-assemble the strap or not. If he doesn't want, to add some stuff on the spring can be feasible.

I just checked mine. It is about 3 inch. I made an extra line for the additional sets..... It will be PITA if the line isn't enough length for doning and doffing. I had to cut and re-loop it again.

hoosier:
I am not sure if Spoon wants to dis-assemble the strap or not. If he doesn't want, to add some stuff on the spring can be feasible.
feasable, but won't fix his problem, adding sting to an overstretched spring will not shorten the spring for him...

Yes, I mean, just add the line inside spring and put some stuff outside of spring without dis-assembling a whole strap..... :)

if he's stretched the strap, he's going to have to shorten it..adding stuff inside or outside won't work..awap's instructions are spot on...either that or buy new straps and then follow your adive, which is excellent for new straps... :wink:

overstretched or too big to start with means youh ave to make them smaller in my book..however, if you've gotten straps that are too big to fit by adding stuff to the outsides or insides, then he should go for it...much simpler...

mossym:
what kind of spring straps are you using?
anyway, if the springs are stretched too far in the first place i don't think the string wil do any good now, it's to stop you over stretching in the first palce..

i just got these straps 10 dives ago. i dont know what brand they are they look pretty much generic. the springs are connected to a solid stainless steel bolt so there is no way to insert any string. as of know they are not stretched yet. honestly i dont know anyone that has overstretched their springs.

mossym:
overstretched or too big to start with means youh ave to make them smaller in my book..however, if you've gotten straps that are too big to fit by adding stuff to the outsides or insides, then he should go for it...much simpler...

my springs are not overstretched they are still new, what i am saying is that i think i got a size too big. i brought em to the shop and the guys cant figure a way to insert the strings. my springs are connected to a solid piece of metal and there is no way to detach the spring from this.

hoosier:

I just checked mine. It is about 3 inch. I made an extra line for the additional sets..... It will be PITA if the line isn't enough length for doning and doffing. I had to cut and re-loop it again.

i dont mind dissasembling it, i see know way though without breaking the connection.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom