need a quick fix to lose steel spring straps

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Spoon

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
i have spring straps for my jets and noticed that i usually have to keep fixing them underwater. i think they area bit lose, i am size 10.5 and i got the size 10 springs. i cant change them anymore. i was wondering if there is any minor fix i can do to solve the problem? maybe adding some tape or even wrapping the springs in rubber strips to make it thicker?

You didn't put a string (spool line) inside the spring? Otherwise, the spring will be extended later. Or get the think rubber tube for a minor adjustment.

hoosier:
You didn't put a string (spool line) inside the spring? Otherwise, the spring will be extended later. Or get the think rubber tube for a minor adjustment.

nope i dint know you were supposed to do that. arent they suppose to remain at a certain length for life? ive only used these on 9 dives so i dont think they would have extended.

btw what kind of string should i put?

hoosier:

how long should the string be?

When I put it on 11 inch spring, it was recommended about 15 inch. But, based on my experience,, you can see how much it needs to be extended for a don/doff. That is an about the length you need.

Spoon:
how long should the string be?

hoosier:
When I put it on 11 inch spring, it was recommended about 15 inch. But, based on my experience,, you can see how much it need to be extended for a don/doff. That is an about the length you need.

would you recommend nylon lines?

#24 reel line that is used also for a spool. For a durability, I used a braided line, not twined... :)

hoosier:
#24 reel line that is used also for a spool. For a durability, I used a braided line, not twined... :)

thanks hope they have this in my dive shop, if not i will look for something appropriate.

there is no space to insert the strings into the spring?

what kind of spring straps are you using?
anyway, if the springs are stretched too far in the first place i don't think the string wil do any good now, it's to stop you over stretching in the first palce..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom