Need a pic of pocket

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't know what's "right".
I just know what works for me.
I made the pocket because I have a viking drysuit and their pocket is expensive and a PIA to attach..
The picture was just a picture of the pocket, I'm not suited up, I'm wearing kacky jeans in the photo.

I wear my pocket on my right thigh, towards the front outside at aprox one or two oclock. There are 3 straps, one going up to my waste belt, and two around my thigh, at the top and bottom of the pocket. All have 1 inch quick release (fastex) connectors.
The cover flap has a 2 inch strip of velcro on it. The sides are gusseted or V shaped to allow expansion.

If you make a pocket, make sure you put some drain holes in the bottom. (A soldering iron does this nicely on cordura nylon)

Mike D
:blfish:

I'd guess DIR stipulates in front [like a pilot], as that is the location of most drysuit pockets... I know they stipulate what's in what pocket.

However the most important part is what feels right. I originally had my pocket on my right thigh. During training drills I found that I am clumsy getting things out with my right hand [I'm left handed] and I decided my safety pocket needed to be on my left.

Comfort is the key... i.e. you're diving wet with a single bladder wing/or bc, some idiot pokes your bladder with their speargun, and you're sinking down the wall. I'm much more comfortable getting my lift bag out for emergency bouyancy if I can get at it with my left hand.

so for me, essential equip is on the left... if I'm running two pouches on a dive, the extra stuff [lobster gauges, banders, etc...] are in my right pocket...

I totally agree Spectre.
I'm right handed and tend to place the pocket on my right most of the time.
However, when I'm with students, I use one of those magnetic erasible slates. I put it on my left side. I can reach down pull out the slate with my left hand and I'm in writing postion.
When I deco dive, my deco bottle is on the left and would be cumbersome to reach over. So the pocket goes on my right.

Mike D
:blfish:

I put grommets on the top of mine. 4 total per pocket two forward and two aft just below the top seam. This works great for clipping flashlights, shears, etc. so they won't get deep sixed if the pocket opens.

Dave

Or get an old wetsuit and cut out a piece of neoprene and glue it to your wetsuit.

i picked up an old wetsuit for free and built two pockets on my two piece wetsuit.

very easy

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom