Need a New Light

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

snewland01

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I think I'm going to need a new canister light and I'm looking for suggestions on what is the best value on the market today.

Currently I have a Niterider Digital 4000. It uses NiCad batteries in a canister and has high output switchable 12 and 20W lamps. This was probably a bit of over kill, but I got it for a good price used. It looks like the NiCads have experienced. Getting a new battery pack would cost about $400 minimum.

I just started decompression diving and do alot of Wreck (limited penetration) and Cavern. I want some capability to expand either type of diving.

Currently I can get a Dive Rite 10W HID unit with a small canister for ~$500. This looks like an incredible deal.

I do need the light to be hands free with a Goodman style grip.

Thanks for your suggestions and recommendation in advance.

Scott N

I have one of these 10w DR "Slimlin" lights, and have loved it for years love it...

Dive Rite Slimline Lights,

lt6250lg.jpg

C-MR11 Head w/Slimline Can,
10W Solarc Bulb, Goodman & Elastic Handmounts
4.5-Amp NiMH & Chgr, FREE Slimline StormCase SALE

I'd suggest the Salvo fixed focus 10W HID. It's a very bright and well-focused light, using NiMH batteries, and runs in the same price range as the Dive Rite. Salvo has an excellent and well-earned reputation for superb customer service and standing behind the lights they sell. We have two Salvo lights, and dive heavily and in overhead environments. We've had a few issues with the lights over the last 500 dives, and Salvo makes everything good and frequently has the light back to you in under a week.

I have one of these 10w DR "Slimlin" lights, and have loved it for years love it...
I also have a Dive Rite 10W HID, with the MR11 Head and an Elastic handmount. Great light for $500!!!

I just ordered a Salvo Rebel 12watt LED cannister. 6 degree fixed beam, 50,000 hour emitter life, 750 lumens and 5 hours burn time. SRP is a little bit more than 500 bucks but bulbs aren't 100 dollars plus if I ever need one. BTW shop told me salvo shipped it today! Should be here early next week. As a result I may be selling my nocturnal TL 50 extreme halogen at a good price unless my wife does not find out about the new one. Then I can keep both!

I have a Sartek 10W HID, focusable. It was not much over $500.

I really want to compare the 10W HID with the 500 Lumens LED. If they compared favorably, I'd go with the LED lights.

But you can not go wrong with a good 10W HID light.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom