Need a little help assembling my first reg.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Freeflyer

Reaction score
Hi all,

after much debate and helpful advice from people here on the board, I just took delivery of a pair of Apeks ATX50/ATX40 regs.

Now the octopus didn't come attatched, and I've never had to do this before (rental gear etc) so how tight should the hoses be connected?

Finger tight,
Finger tight, plus a half turn.
Specific torque
tighten until it won't go further

I'm guessing that this is one of those 'feel' type things, and I think I can do this comfortably (lots of mechaniking in the past) but I wanted to get some ideas before I go ahead.

Plus, without buying the overhaul textbooks (that's for next year, I want to do my own) what's a good reference (book or online) for gaining a better understanding of how your regs work and how best to adjust them. The Apeks manual leaves a bit to be desired on that front.

Cheers,

J.

I've seen a torque spec which I believe was 80 inch pounds. But this is one that can do without the precision as you are just compressing the o-ring a bit. I go finger tight and then just a little more with a wrench - like about 1/8 turn. Then I check to make sure I can't loosen it by hand. And I often check these connections when I set it up just to make sure there are no surprises.

Ditto on that advice. You don't want to kill it - doing so may impact the integrity of the o-ring in there.

When I assemble my regs, I clean the mating parts (I remove the o-ring) with a wipe of a clean towel, just to ensure that there's no dust or whatever there. Then I lube the o-ring with Cristolube (oxygen compatible) just enough to make the o-ring shiny. Unlike some, I'm not real picky about having a little extra lube in places, but you want to use the stuff sparingly. Just make sure the o-ring is wet n' shiny.

Then I assemble the reg, giving a good "umph" to the wrench with my hand placed halfway down the shaft of the wrench. This ensures that I can get the rig apart again later, as I'm assembling without using all of the leverage that I can muster. I grip the wrench with only two fingers and a thumb at the halfway point, and give a good, tight feel. That seems to work for me and prevents any sort of seizing later.

The bottom line is that you should not be able to unscrew the hoses by hand, and you want to be sure they don't inadvertently come loose later on. But there's no reason to kill it.

The threads are very tolerant anyway - they're strong. You're not likely to threaten stripping them unless you hold the first stage in a vice and really put your weight behind it.

If the setup is too loose, they'll come apart later, or begin leaking. All you need to do is prevent that.

Don't worry. It's easy. :)

I just checked the service manual, the torque spec for attaching the hose to the first stage is 40 inch pounds. If you happen to have a torque wrench, go ahead and use it, I find that I always over tightened these hoses if I do it by feel.

Good luck

I'm about to order my reg/octo/computer online. I don't suppose the LDS will be happy to put it together and I don't quite know my ass from my elbow when it comes to torque wrenches, etc. Any suggestions? I'm heading to Aruba next month. Would it be a bad idea to have a dive operator there assemble it? Thanks!

ClassAction:
I'm about to order my reg/octo/computer online. I don't suppose the LDS will be happy to put it together and I don't quite know my ass from my elbow when it comes to torque wrenches, etc. Any suggestions? I'm heading to Aruba next month. Would it be a bad idea to have a dive operator there assemble it? Thanks!

If you really don't believe this is the type of thing you can handle, Then you probably should be doing business with an LDS who can provide these services. But, I suspect you would have a hard time finding an LDS that uses a torque wrench to do that job even if they have one.

Thanks for your replies, that's pretty much what I expected, and how I'll put it together. Nice to know I'm on the right page.

Now I just have to get it in the water, which unfortunately will be March, but will at least be in Borneo where we're moving to (Brunei).

Cheers,

J.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom