Need a diver near Gainsville marina

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mikerault

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I just got a call from a fellow who lost an expensive ring at the Gainsville marina. He knows were it went down within 5-10 feet, just needs a diver to go after it, anyone interested?

Mike

I only charged him for gas and air (about $20) but then I didn't find it. The bottom has about an inch of really fine silt on it. They will be back Friday so I can ask them then how much they would be willing to pay. It will probably need a metal detector to find it. It is in 34 feet of water.

I do have a metal detector. But the only time I'm going to be at the lake is tomorrow.

Could I borrow it?

If you are sure of the area, and within about 10' or so, and don't find it, call me. I can give you some tips. Mark 985-960-1157

Have the fellow show you "exactly" where he dropped the ring.

Fortunately, rings have a tendency to settle straight down to the bottom with no lateral drift.

Take a small weight and attach to a reel. Lower the weight to the bottom and let it GENTLY settle on the bottom. (When you get down there and start probing around in the silt you'll understand why.) Make sure the reel line is securely attached to a fixed object at the surface.

Your down line will act as a reference point when you start your search.

Descend to the bottom of the reference line making sure you approach the bottom very slowly.

You can conduct your search in one or two patterns, circle in an outward expanding orbit about the down line, or start on one side of the line and do an up/cross/back pattern.

Make sure you keep your fins up and your body in a heads down position if you possibly can. A frog kick goes a long way to keep from stirring up the silt.

A ring, more than likely, is going to settle down into the silt.

If it hasn't been too long, look for tell tale signs of dimpling in the surface of the silt. Using you light you can help detect dimpling by shining the beam of your light at a very low angle along the surface of the bottom.

Good luck.

the K

The Kraken Speaks! :) Missed you at the June dive and dine! Yep, that is exactly the method I planned to use.

Mike

Back
Top Bottom