Need a compass for an older Aqualung Pivot 2 with Suunto gauges

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rob20g

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I got my Discover Scuba certification on a cruise ship about 9 years ago. They were offering what I thought were good deals on BCD's and regulator consoles (Aqualung Pivot 2 with pressure and depth gauges). So I purchasd a set, intending to dive more, but I never got around to it. Now, I am signed up to get my open water certification. When I took my console to the local dive shop to get looked at before going under, he told me I'd need a compass. There is a place for one on the console, but one was never installed. I'd have to remove a cover plate and kind of push and turn the compass into place. The problem is I can't find a compass that fits. The space for the compass is about 2 1/2 inches in diameter. Any suggestions? Suunto has been no help.

I got my Discover Scuba certification on a cruise ship about 9 years ago. They were offering what I thought were good deals on BCD's and regulator consoles (Aqualung Pivot 2 with pressure and depth gauges). So I purchasd a set, intending to dive more, but I never got around to it. Now, I am signed up to get my open water certification. When I took my console to the local dive shop to get looked at before going under, he told me I'd need a compass. There is a place for one on the console, but one was never installed. I'd have to remove a cover plate and kind of push and turn the compass into place. The problem is I can't find a compass that fits. The space for the compass is about 2 1/2 inches in diameter. Any suggestions? Suunto has been no help.

I Owned a US Divers (Aqualung) Pivot about 12 years ago Im pretty sure, 90%, the compass I had in it was an Oceanic.

Thanks for the info 101recon! I found this thread as well but I did not read it thoroughly enough. I checked out the Oceanic module someone suggested but it is only about 2" diameter and I need one that is about 2 1/2". I did contact Trident and hopefully they will have a solution for me.

Thanks Buddhasummer. I checked out Oceanic compasses, but I did not find any that were 2 1/2" in diameter. I've contacted Trident and hopefully they will be able to help.

The Pivot II was only sold for a short time, it requires an adapter to mount the compass. It was basically a rubber boot with 4 legs that locked into the console with a quarter turn. A standard 2" side reading compass would then mount inside the boot. Trident D624 fit well. Finding the adapter will be tricky.

Rather than mess with a compass and adapter for a Pivot console, I would buy a good quality wrist mounted compass.

That may be exactly what I wind up doing. I just thought it would be nice to have it all in one. Plus, I read that many divers prefer a wrist mounted compass. Thanks for the advice! I really do appreciate it.

Rather than mess with a compass and adapter for a Pivot console, I would buy a good quality wrist mounted compass.

---------- Post added at 01:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:51 PM ----------

And if I can't find the adapter, I'll probably use Keyshunter's advice and go for the wrist mounted option. The dive shop recommended a hose mount model near the pressure gauge. Any thoughts? I'm not sure I like that option.

The Pivot II was only sold for a short time, it requires an adapter to mount the compass. It was basically a rubber boot with 4 legs that locked into the console with a quarter turn. A standard 2" side reading compass would then mount inside the boot. Trident D624 fit well. Finding the adapter will be tricky.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom