Need a comment on training

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cherry

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
It seems I have a Daughter who is considering continuing her education ( Nothing like taking a year off after HS and flippin burgers to motivate a kid ) :) and taking a commercial divers course and I am wondering what possible programs are out there. One she found in a Rodales mag is the College of Oceaneering in LA dont know anything about them at all. Any suggestions?

The very first thing to determine is if she really does want to dive and work in mud, where everything's done by feel. If she does, then charge ahead... If not, she's not likely commercial diving material.
I'm sure the commercial divers here can mention other niceties like cold and filth - and we haven't even begun to look at hazards.
It's not that a gal can't do it - she can - but the schools may or may not paint an accurate picture, and it's not a career one should jump into thinking it's an environment anything like what you see on TV.
If she does, then the emphasis is different in different parts of the country, and depending on whether she wants to do dams & bridges, oil fields, shipyard, waterworks etc will to a large extent determine which school she should go to.
Rick

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom