Necklace Octo holder

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pretty much identical to using a snorkel keeper. Curious about the square shape, though....

The idea is that the square is passed through the circle (to attach the keeper to your d ring) and the octo mouthpiece is passed through the square.

That's what I used during OW training...actually I asked how the octo should be held and the instructor disappeared into the shop and returned with one. It worked but I did manage to have the octo come out of the keeper twice and I never figured out how to mount the octo quickly.

I use the same setup: underarm with 90 degree swivel. Works great! Maybe one day I will switch to the long hose but unfortunately a 6 foot atomic swivel hose will cost me about $800.00.

For $800 I hope the hose is gold plated. I got a 6ft custom length hose (instead of standard 7 ft hose) for just under $100, here in Canada where things are usually way more expensive than the States.

Last edited:
For $800 I hope he hose is gold plated. I got a 6ft custom length hose (instead of standard 7 ft hose) for just under $100, here in Canada where things are usually way more expensive than the States.

I got a custom longer than 7' hose for less than $100. I bet the air delivered through an $800 hose tastes better :wink:

windapp:
I use a necklace, and it is the one I donate. It is always oriented correctly whether I need to use it, or pull it out and hand it to my buddy.
My wife uses the necklace for the octo and it is on the longer of the two hoses. Her primary is a standard length hose over her shoulder, the octo on a necklace under her arm on a 38 inch hose with a 90 degree swivel. Sorry, but it works very well and she will indeed donate the necklaced octo, not the short hose primary.N
Very interesting approach. How is the octo donated? Does one pull the mouthpiece out of the bungee / holder when the octo is handed off? And, why was this approach selected?

---------- Post Merged at 07:43 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 07:31 AM ----------

I don't have a long hose, but my octo is 4 inches longer then my primary so I would give my octo. All I'm saying is for basic diving instructions it makes sense to place the "octo" on a necklace as an alternative to side mounting or lack there of.
So, I have to ask - why don't you just switch hoses, and use the longer hose as your primary, and donate it?
divendesign:
Maybe one day I will switch to the long hose but unfortunately a 6 foot atomic swivel hose will cost me about $800.00.
I presume you mean a new regulator with a 6' hose and a swivel will cost $800.00. Or, was it a typo and you meant the hose and swivel will cost $80.00?

Very interesting approach. How is the octo donated? Does one pull the mouthpiece out of the bungee / holder when the octo is handed off? And, why was this approach selected?

Very good question. The octo is handed off exactly as it would be in any other air sharing situation. I can grab the octo, twist my wrist, and hand it to my buddy, or my buddy can, if he desires, grab it for himself. The reason why I don't donate the primary is because I use a Seacure mouthpiece which doesn't lend itself well to being used by someone for whom it wasn't fitted. Otherwise I would.

Very good question. The octo is handed off exactly as it would be in any other air sharing situation. I can grab the octo, twist my wrist, and hand it to my buddy, or my buddy can, if he desires, grab it for himself.
So, in twisting it, the mouthpiece comes out of the holder, right? Sounds like a good approach.
The reason why I don't donate the primary is because I use a Seacure mouthpiece which doesn't lend itself well to being used by someone for whom it wasn't fitted. Otherwise I would.
Makes perfect sense! I was in the same situation when I first made the switch to the bungeed necklace. I was already using a Seacure on my primary second stage. For a while I dove with my Seacure on my primary, but then figured that it might well gag the OOA recipient if s/he used it. So, I then switched the Seacure to the bungeed second stage and breathed off that as my primary. But, that wasn't ideal either, for several reasons. A short while later, I discovered the Comfo-Bite mouthpiece, my Seacure now sits forlorn and ignored in a box somewhere, and my dilemma was resolved. :)

So, in twisting it, the mouthpiece comes out of the holder, right? Sounds like a good approach. Makes perfect sense! I was in the same situation when I first made the switch to the bungeed necklace. I was already using a Seacure on my primary second stage. For a while I dove with my Seacure on my primary, but then figured that it might well gag the OOA recipient if s/he used it. So, I then switched the Seacure to the bungeed second stage and breathed off that as my primary. But, that wasn't ideal either, for several reasons. A short while later, I discovered the Comfo-Bite mouthpiece, my Seacure now sits forlorn and ignored in a box somewhere, and my dilemma was resolved. :)

The mouth piece comes out just by giving it a pull. Then I turn my wrist to face it towrd the recipient. It is always correctly oriented.

I have been thinking about ditching the Seacure as my own natural response tends to be to share my primary.

So, I have to ask - why don't you just switch hoses, and use the longer hose as your primary, and donate it?
Not for 4 more inches.

I presume you mean a new regulator with a 6' hose and a swivel will cost $800.00. Or, was it a typo and you meant the hose and swivel will cost $80.00?

Actually $800 is a guesstimate. I called atomic to order a 40" inch hose with swivel and they quoted me $280.00. So I'm only guessing that it would be very expensive. I could go the generic route for a 100.00 or so and may do that when the time comes.

Actually $800 is a guesstimate. I called atomic to order a 40" inch hose with swivel and they quoted me $280.00. So I'm only guessing that it would be very expensive. I could go the generic route for a 100.00 or so and may do that when the time comes.

You are either getting completely BS'd by the supplier you called OR there is a misunderstanding in what you want/they offered. I think there is a misunderstanding.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom