Neck fit on a new wetsuit concerns me

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GusSmed

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
My old wetsuit developed severe zipper problems, so I bought a Henderson H2 3mm. It seems pretty nice, certainly the ankles are much easier to put on than my old suit, though the wrists are incredibly tight and don't have the velcro straps that make getting past the ankles so much easier.

The real problem is that the neck is uncomfortably tight. The suit in general (size ML) may be a bit large on me, but with the neck zipped up and the velcro collar tab undone, I feel like it's choking me. When I turn my head the skin of my neck is visibly pulling against the collar, which it did not with either my 3mm or 7mm suits.

Is it because the suit is brand-new, right out of the factory packaging? The H2 I tried in the store did not feel like this. I don't really recall much of a break-in period with my old wetsuits, though it's been about 10 years now so maybe my memory is fuzzy.

- Gus

When dry it's normal for the skin seal to pull. That's sort of what you'd expect of a clinging rubber seal.

It's tight before you close the Velcro tab? I do like to set mine to there is a little tension. It's one of your most important sealing locations. If it's already a little tight you may not have off the rack proportions. At a minimum try different brands, the cut will vary. Next is custom or alterations if you have local neoprene talent or are clever yourself.

If your wrists are uncomfortably tight you might trying something like a tennis ball in each opening overnight. Again, a little compression is good. Numb/cold hands are bad.

Depending what you mean by "a bit large" it may not be the right suit to bein with even if the mentioned features are tight. Getting in the water an using the suit will do nothing to snug up the fit. A bit about fit.

Pete

We did things like streching the neck seal over a tank overnight and stresching the wrist seals over a glass soda overnight as well. It always worked for me.

I don't own a tank, but I'll give some thought to doing something similar.

- Gus

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom