Neck Crack Found - 6351T6 Cylinder

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PhilEllis

Reaction score
I have talked much about this subject, but I just had an interesting event occur here in my store.

A customer, previously unknown to me, walked into the store this morning to get a fill on a Luxfer aluminum cylinder. When I realized that this cylinder was originally hydro inspected on 10/82, I informed him that we no longer filled these cylinders and explained a little about the 6351T6 SLC issue. I showed him two examples of 6351T6 cylinders with cracks and the following exchange occurred.

HIM: Well, mine is fine. My dive store fills it all of the time.
ME: Sorry, but because of the potential for cracks, we do not fill them.
HIM: Mine isn't cracked. You can look for yourself.
ME: I will be glad to look at the neck threads, but we still have a policy against filling them.
HIM: If you don't mind, look. I would like to know.

So, I quickly drained the cylinder and removed the valve. AS SOON as the valve was out, I saw the crack. It didn't require a light, it didn't require a mirror. This was a sizable crack, running the length of about 6 threads. When I saw the crack, I pointed it out to him and told him that that was exactly why we had the policy.

This particular cylinder was last hydro inspected in 06/2007. It did not have a VE stamp to indicate the application of an eddy current inspection. There was a visual inspection sticker on the cylinder with the date of February 2008 punched. There was an area on the sticker that could be punched if the dive store used a Visual Eddy machine during the inspection. It was not punched. There was no store name or inspector ID on the sticker.

I offered the customer $50 for the cylinder, but he declined saying that he would "take it to his dive shop when he gets home". I felt pretty bad about that cylinder leaving here and I certainly hope the owner will point it out to someone he trusts to perform an inspection and properly reject the cylinder. Unfortunately, we don't know if that will happen and we have no authority beyond informing the customer to please remove the cylinder from service.

Phil Ellis

Sounds like you did the right thing to me. Did you leave the valve out?

Sounds like you did the right thing to me. Did you leave the valve out?

I handed the valve to him. He screwed it in about three turns to use the valve as a handle and left the store.

Phil Ellis

Why did you offer him the $50? Is it worth that much in scrap or were you just trying to get it off the street as well as be a nice guy to him?

Honestly, I don't know why I did. I sort of had a flash back to our "almost" accident last year with one of these. I sort of wanted it "out of circulation". It is only worth about $18 in scrap value here locally. I certainly had a bad feeling letting the cylinder leave the store. I could have also added it to the other 4 cracked cylinders we have and used it for the "educational" value.

Phil Ellis

makes me shiver a bit to think of that thing under full pressure...

What happened last year?

We had an "active" leak on a cylinder neck crack while filling. This was after hydro, VE, and VIP inspection. There was much discussion about it here on ScubaBoard, but I can't find the thread. Can anyone find it and post a link?

Phil Ellis

Hey Phil good catch,
I have a quick question though, could you or should you have condemned the tank then and there because of the visible crack? I know he only brought the tank in for a fill and volunteered to let you show him what you were talking about when you found the crack. Is it only a hydro facility that can cross out the tank numbers and condemn a tank? Please don’t think I’m being critical or anything, I’m not really familiar with things like this and I tend to ask questions about things I don’t know about, even if they sound dumb.

Hey Phil good catch,
I have a quick question though, could you or should you have condemned the tank then and there because of the visible crack? I know he only brought the tank in for a fill and volunteered to let you show him what you were talking about when you found the crack. Is it only a hydro facility that can cross out the tank numbers and condemn a tank? Please don’t think I’m being critical or anything, I’m not really familiar with things like this and I tend to ask questions about things I don’t know about, even if they sound dumb.

Without the customers permission, a scuba store cannot mark a cylinder as "condemned", unless that scuba store is also a federal re-qualification station. I tried to "condemn" it by offering 50 bucks. This gentleman was from Mississippi. If I knew the store he normally uses, I would phone them for a "heads-up" on this situation. There is some probability that this cylinder will stay in service. That sucks.

Phil Ellis

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom