Neck & Arm Problems

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

art.chick

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I hate to start a new thread if there is something similar, so I will ask my question here. I also have othopaedic problems due to a repetitive motion stress injury in my hand and arm. They have traced the origin of most of my pain to my neck, where they said something about "small bumps" on my cervical vertebrae, 2 and 3. While I have been in treatment, I became anxious and depressed, gained lots of weight from the antidepressants, and just feel completely unfit to dive. I kick laps often and do refresher work in the pool, but I am not healed after epidural injections, lots of chiropractic (which helps, but I need it often, or I backslide into greater pain and stiffness), accupuncture, and periodic injections of cortisone into the joints (although this gives short-term help for a few months.) I feel totally unclear on what is going on in my body, how to fix it, what WOULD be available if I had insurance or lots of cash for alternative/new treatments, and fear that I will not dive again if I do not get going on some real healing. Now my hands are going numb (the outer 2 fingers and the hand just above them.) It is a Workmans COmp case, so nobody says anything to me. Can you guide me to some sources that could get me back in shape and back in the water??

Heck, it sounds like you may be a candidate for some cervical traction yourself.
Ask your Dr about it on your next visit.
Keep in mind that "some" may not be willing to come right out & tell you about a treatment if it means you'll stop visiting them so often.
Be sure to check with the Drs though, some injuries can be made worse, and some traction units are junk.

I suffered with a similar problem, arm pain, numbness in my fingers, so did my wife. Physical therapy and traction did no good. Cure was neck surgery to remove bone spurs and open the nerve pathway from the spinal cord to the arm. Surgery will probably be the only long term solution to your problem. If you haven't seen a nerosurgeon you need to. Don't be frightened if you are told you need surgery. This is a common procedure. You can look at this web site for more information.

http://www.spineuniverse.com/displayarticle.php/article43.html

Captain

captain:
Cure was neck surgery to remove bone spurs and open the nerve pathway from the spinal cord to the arm. Surgery will probably be the only long term solution to your problem. If you haven't seen a nerosurgeon you need to. Don't be frightened if you are told you need surgery.
Captain

This is why I love this forum so much - divers are so forthcoming with info and resources! I had a nerve study on MOnday that indicated that some of my nerves no longer conduct impulses. I was actually relieved to hear that I was not imagining things. I have felt like the Drs do not believe me, just rush me thru and tell me that I need to read up on positive thinking and stop being so defeatist. My friends have been bad that way too, presuming that I am just being a crybaby who cannot handle a small, localized discomfort. It is not like that at all, and I never know what mutation of the pain will manifest next. If I have to have surgery, I will be happy to feel like I am at least trying a solution for this ongoing agony.

also to add on my maladies.

in 2001 i had back problems. it was traced to my incident trying to carry my overlaoded dive crate. it took me a year to see a chiro.

What the chiropractor DID WAS AMAZING!!!!

i complained of the lower back pain. he told me that it is indeed slightly off the normal position. after two sessions it was gone AND A BONUS, he also corrected the problem i had on my neck without me knowing i ever had a problem . I was so surprised that after he fixed my neck i recalled that indeed i could not make a complete round without stopping to avoid pain at a cerain point.

So i can attest that a good chiropractor can fix some problems.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom