Neat Little Tricks Are Good to Know

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

1. I put my soft weights in FoodSaver vacuum bags. I use the 8 inch roll to make the bags. Every once in a while one will leak, so I dry the weight thoroughly and redo the vacuum bag. I use the manual mode on the FoodSaver and not get too strong a vacuum, or the weight turns hard.

This way I don't have to worry about lead leaching all over my gear in the rinse tank.

I solve that problem by not soaking weights in the rinse tank. Of every piece of dive gear I own, that the one I care least about rinsing. Just out of curiosity... Why do you feel like they need to be soaked?

-Charles

One of the things I really got sick of was tightening the scuba tank with the plastic cam band that has to be dunked in the water and then halfway unthreaded and then the handle has to be rocked back and forth while you pull on the strap, while the boat is careening crazily to and fro, and then the strap has to be re-strung and the lever flopped over and the end of the strap velcroed which never stays put.

Who invented this effing nightmare? It's exhausting, and if the band isn't tight enough you risk your tank slipping out of the BCD. I have also seen these plastic handles break, and when they do you are done diving if you don't carry a spare.

I purchased tank bands http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=ScubaMaxTankStrap with stainless buckles rather than the cam-type handles. Now I just clip the buckles together around the tank and snap them shut: It's easy, never needs adjusting, works perfectly every time, and there is never a danger of the tank slipping out.

Last edited:
Another thing I got sick of was carrying lead. When I started with a 7-mil wetsuit I was carrying 25 lbs of lead. I changed my aluminum tanks to steel and changed by BCD to a SS backplate and I now only carry 8 lbs of lead.

I solve that problem by not soaking weights in the rinse tank. Of every piece of dive gear I own, that the one I care least about rinsing. Just out of curiosity... Why do you feel like they need to be soaked?

-Charles

Weights have feelings too.

Nothing more needs to be said.

Being the first out, you'll be the first one to get to the necessary surface interval time and be the first back in the water for dive #2.
... or use nitrox ... that way you can be the last one out on dive #1 and still be the first one back in the water for dive #2 ... :D

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

... or use nitrox ... that way you can be the last one out on dive #1 and still be the first one back in the water for dive #2 ... :D

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

True.

One of the less often stated advantages of Nitrox being shorter SIs.

-Charles

I don't know if it's necessary to rinse lead weights, but even if you don't put them into the rinse tank, the lead can get on the BC if using integrated weights and on your gloves, hands and likely mouthpiece of the reg.

By sealing them I no longer have to deal this potential hazard.

If I were using solid weights on a belt I'd use plastic coated weights which are commercially available. Plastic coated soft weights are made by ScubaPro in Europe but not available here in the US.

Adam

Oh, yeah, no objection to that. But after the water's removed from the reg, the reg will fill with air. I wasn't necessarily suggesting this as a good option.

@aquaregia. You are right...it actually works. Suck the water into your mouth using your cheeks, air will flow into the reg. Then forcefully spit the water back into the reg, the air will stay in and some of the water will flow out the exhaust valve. The reg will be very wet at this point so carefully breathe in and you will find air. Now you will have enough air to do a complete clear and on you go.

I learned this technique in 1979 and have practiced it ever since. I think it was taught to me as more of a confidence building skill. Try it in the shallows or the pool first. It's really only useful for that rare occasion if you found yourself with empty lungs when replacing the reg in your mouth and the purge didn't work or your hands were otherwise busy.

Your right mike, I was not taught to use the purge button. My instructor taught me the two method, i.e. saying two into the flooded reg. I honestly cannot tell which works better.

What is this "Don't use the purge button" business all about? What is wrong with using the damn purge button?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom