Near reg failure - all ok

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

An alternate air source does nothing unless it is from a different tank, (if that is not obvious).

Sorry.. should have clarified. Yes, different tank (I did think that was obvious but maybe not?).

No, on all the dive compressor systems that I have seen, the separate water separator(s) must be drained frequently, otherwise the filters get wet and will fail. They generate a lot of water, especially if taking air directly from the atmosphere, rather than from inside an air conditioned space.

Some "clean" water inside a nice clean aluminum tank is not that big of a deal, but saltwater in the tank, especially if it partially dries out during numerous fills, will form a hypersaline and very corrosive solution.
Yes, I drain my separator ever 5-10 minutes, I should have mentioned that. The filter tower removed any moisture remaining.

DW

Yes, I drain my separator ever 5-10 minutes, I should have mentioned that. The filter tower removed any moisture remaining.

DW
What is the recommended interval on your compressor? 5 min seems excessive (notthat I'm an expert I have no idea).

I was told 10-20 I think, I do it every 10 on the dot. I have an alarm on my phone that goes off every 10 min when I turn it on.

I have also found I end up doing it a lot less when it's drier out (which makes sense).

I'd think that an automatic drain would be easy to rig up. Put a float in the separator that activates once it reaches a certain level and then closes one below similar to a toilet. Just my way trying to think of a way to be less of a oversight and more automatic.

I'd think that an automatic drain would be easy to rig up. Put a float in the separator that activates once it reaches a certain level and then closes one below similar to a toilet.
Two thoughts about your suggestion: First, those drains are under very high pressure (well, under the pressure of the compressor stage that immediately precedes it).

Second, automatic drains need to be maintained. (Just more stuff that can break!) Last week a plumber made a service call to my house to replace the float and flapper valve in two of my toilets. And toilets are about as simple mechanically as things can get!

rx7diver

Sorry.. should have clarified. Yes, different tank (I did think that was obvious but maybe not?).
I understood, should I say inferred, that you meant a second, redundant air source (second bottle, second reg - ie your pony or your buddy's octo) and not an octo from the same first stage.

OMMOHY

Two thoughts about your suggestion: First, those drains are under very high pressure (well, under the pressure of the compressor stage that immediately preceded it).

Second, automatic drains need to be maintained. (Just more stuff that can break!) Last week a plumber made a service call to my house to replace the float and flapper valve in two of my toilets. And toilets are about as simple mechanically as things can get!

rx7diver
OMG, you paid somebody to replace a float and flapper? I am mostly a local diver, but on my last trip to Belize, I had arranged to get AL 100s. They were getting refilled twice a day.

I stopped wondering why resorts don’t use steel tank. The crap treatment of diver running them dry, getting a little bit of salt water would just maintain them a nightmare. Aluminum oxide is much more benign than rust.

Thank for the story, it will give me pause next month in Bonaire.

@Kimela just thought I’d mention that a safety stop is not a mandatory stop: if you have a failure and it is dangerous to stay underwater, you may want to elect to skip it.

It is an additional protection against being bent from an “undeserved” hit but this additional protection is not worth taking a risk of drowning and also being bent is not binary: the severe cases will be correlated with having missed long mandatory stops rather than safety stops.

Or just shift to your buddy's, or anyone else handy, alternate second stage. No one cares about a diver getting back on the boat with less than 500# if they are sharing air.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom