NCL Pride of Hawaii cruise in November

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

the Molokini wall is awesome, but you have to be comfortable doing safety stops w/o a line. We plan to do it at least once during our next trip. We have never done the bike ride down Haleakala. . .we would rather do lots of diving!! It seems the weather has a lot to do with how people like that ride. . . Have fun, no matter what! Maggi

The two luau's I've heard most often recommended are the Old Lahaina Luau on Maui and the luau at the Polynesian Cultural Center on Oahu. I've gone to the Old Lahaina Luau and definitely recommend it HIGHLY. Everything about it is top notch.

Aloha,When your on Kauai, I would recommend doing a dive. We have great critters and some endemic species of fish that may be harder to find on the other islands, i.e. the Bandit Angelfish. Kauai is also a spectacular place for a helicopter tour. See the island above and below! I am a dive instructor for Bubbles Below Scuba charters and have been on Kauai for a few years now. If you have any questions please feel free to ask!Aloha O'e and enjoy your cruise- don't forget to have the "honeymoon salad!"

The Pride of America has been a thorn in the side since it was first being built by it's original owners - Classic Cruises. When NCL took over the ship it sank during construction at the dock in Germany that was doing the work. They tried recruiting me to work on the ship but I gave them a no thank you since all the problems they had had in the past. Having worked on a cruise boat I must say it does take some getting use to, it is not for everyone, and yes the last couple of weeks at the end of a rotation most crew do become a little cranky. The money is good though.

Molokini vs Haleakala is a tough call. I have done both and enjoyed them equally. It's a shame you can't do both during your visit. When we went back to Maui this year we rented motorcycles and did our own tour of the westside of Maui (we started in Lahaina) and headed north past Kapalua to the blow holes and falls in the West Maui Mountains. Then continued on over to Haleakala and went to the observation deck at the top. I must say, riding the motorcycles was a thrill, more so than the bikes. If you do the bike tour, DRESS WARM, it gets a little chilly at the top, especially when the wind is howling.

No matter what you decide you can't go wrong - it's all good.

Based on your schedule, I don't see how it's possible to do the sunrise bike tour of Haleakala. Sunrise is around 6:00 am and you need about an hour and a half head start to make it up the mountain. Molokini tours get going between 5:30 and 7:30 am so that would be tough too. If you really want to dive, try a couple of shore dives from the south shore. You'll see plenty of great marine life but you probably won't get the spectacular visibilty that you would find at Molokini. You'll get longer bottom times too.

Cruising the Hawaiian Islands is a much different way to see them than if you came to each island for a few days to a week. There is so much to do here you simply can't see or do it all. Weather will play a big role in things too. You can count on warmth but you never know how sea conditions or rain will work out (like when you go to the rainforest or up to the crater). I'd consider the cruise as a way to sample something from each island. Realize that you'll have a different perspective than the tourist who stays here longer. Don't put too much pressure on yourselves to see everything. Remember, you can always come back to do the things you really want later.

If you need help working out some shore diving on Maui, let me know. Enjoy your cruise!

Shaka Doug:
Based on your schedule, I don't see how it's possible to do the sunrise bike tour of Haleakala.

We will actually be in Kahului, Maui from 8:00am on Wednesday until Thursday at 6:00pm. Thursday morning will be when we are able to do either the bike ride or the crater.

Another option, I think the Maui Diamond II offers an afternoon dive to Molokini in the afternoon on Wednesday...

It is such a tough call! I wish we could do everything! I think we might try to brave the rougher waters Wed. afternoon to Molokini, and then do the bike ride Thurs. morning.

We are going on the same Cruise in October and booked all of our shore excursions through www.adventuremaui.com better prices, less people on the excursions and they helped us work everything out so that we can do the Molokini snorkle/dive on day two and the Road to Hana on Day one of our Maui stop. My son isn't old enough to do the Bike ride but you can if you don't do the sunrise ride. The Pride of Maui offers a two tank dive at Molokini crater and turtle town or something like that. Check out their website, they're very helpful.

we were looking for an operation that was a little bit smaller... the pride of maui looks like it would be a pretty huge, and diverse group out there! I'm sure you will have a great time though!

And we can't do the sunrise bike on Wednesday because the ship doesn't get there until 8:00am which is too late!

keep the advice coming, and thanks for helping me out!!

The Pride of Maui is in Dry Dock while we're there so we're looking for an alternative too. We are currently reserved to go out on Lelaini their older ship, but I am open to suggestions. We have day two of our Maui open for scuba/snorkle keeping in mind my son will be with us and he's too young to dive. We need a boat that he can go along on and hopefully snorkle. Any suggestions would be appreicated......9 days and counting!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom