NCL Pride of Hawaii cruise in November

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Qtpie54346

Registered
Reaction score
Hi everyone. My fiance and I are going on a cruise in Hawaii for our honeymoon around Thanksgiving time. We are looking for some dive shop recommendations (rather than booking through the cruise ship) as well as some other recommended activities to do at each specific island. We definately want to go to a luau, do the zipline, and take a hike through the trees waterfalls- which islands are best for these?

We are also going to do the sunrise bikeride in Maui- the only problem is that we also really want to dive the Molokiki crater and are only finding charters that go in the early morning- the same time we were going to do the bike ride.

Does anyone know of a dive charter that goes to Molokini on Wed. afternoons? Or does anyone think that going to the sunrise bike is not worth it over the diving?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, here is our schedule:

Honolulu Monday until 8:00pm
Hilo, Big Island Tuesday 8:00am - 6:00pm
Kahului, Maui Wednesday 8:00am - Thursday 6:00pm
Kona, Big Island Friday 7:00am - 6:00pm
Nawiliwili, Kauai Saturday 7:00am - Sunday 2:00pm
Honoulu Monday a few hours before we have to go back to the airport

Thanks for the help!!

Gee, I haven't heard of a dive boat going to Molokini in the afternoons. They typically stick close to shore as the trades pick up around noon and the water becomes too rough for comfort. We've been on a Lahaina Divers charter coming back from Molokini once when the water was rough after the trades had picked up, and we really rocked and rolled all the way back.

Whether or not the bike ride down Haleakala is "better" than diving on Maui is a purely personal opinion. I know folks who thought the bike ride was amazing and others who were less than impressed, but I've also heard of folks who felt the same way about diving Molokini.

justleesa:
Oh wow the new one :D is it here yet or are you going on it's Maiden Voyage?

It actually started sailing in June I believe... we're not the first ones, but pretty close! Hopefully it will be better than some of the things I've heard about the Pride of Aloha and the Pride of America.

DiveMaven:
Gee, I haven't heard of a dive boat going to Molokini in the afternoons. They typically stick close to shore as the trades pick up around noon and the water becomes too rough for comfort. We've been on a Lahaina Divers charter coming back from Molokini once when the water was rough after the trades had picked up, and we really rocked and rolled all the way back.

Whether or not the bike ride down Haleakala is "better" than diving on Maui is a purely personal opinion. I know folks who thought the bike ride was amazing and others who were less than impressed, but I've also heard of folks who felt the same way about diving Molokini.

You mention Lahaina Divers. Couple of years ago I did Hawiian cruise (NCL i believe), and I booked through ship and that's who they used.
I think it was on Hawaii (island) that the operator through the ship had mechanical failure and cancelled out on us when we were at the pier. The ship's coordinator used his cell phone and helped us find another operator at the last minute. And.... we lucked out to find an operator who could take the 10 of us last minute and we had great time.

My wife and I were supposed to do the maiden voyage back in June... but she was too far into her pregnancy for us to go

:(..that's too bad....get your in-laws to come back in a year and try again (not for a baby though :wink:)

Qtpie54346: my friend worked on the Pride of Aloha for a while and it is a tough place to work. You sign up for 4-5 months, work 7 days a week and 12-14 hours or more a day (depending what you do) then they get a month off with benefits...the people are over worked and it's hard to stay nice when the last month comes along and you kinda get sick of eating the same thing day in and day out for 5 months (they are not allowed to bring food on the ship)...
The Pride of Hawaii is the biggest of the three (I think)...and the Pride of America is Really big...should be comfy :wink: Hope your enjoy your stay and we get to see you while you're here!!

definately not the best working conditions! I'm sure we will have a great time, just a matter of getting these shore excursions worked out. I think I have come to the conclusion that Hawaii just has too many things to offer!!

Anyone have an opinion on diving the Molokini Crater/Wall (we are both AOW + Nitrox certified) vs. doing the sunrise bike down the mountain??

DEEPLOU:
You mention Lahaina Divers. Couple of years ago I did Hawiian cruise (NCL i believe), and I booked through ship and that's who they used.
I think it was on Hawaii (island) that the operator through the ship had mechanical failure and cancelled out on us when we were at the pier. The ship's coordinator used his cell phone and helped us find another operator at the last minute. And.... we lucked out to find an operator who could take the 10 of us last minute and we had great time.

I do know that the cruise lines use Lahaina Divers to book their dive excursions on Maui. I don't know who the lines use on the Big Island or Oahu.

What about Hilo- anything stick out there? I haven't read too much about diving there...

Anyone been on the ATV tours on Kauai? Or can our $ be used better elsewhere?

Best place for a luau?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom