NC Style Diving in Key Largo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Backscatter

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Just got back from four days in Key Largo, 2-4 foot seas, stiff current, strong surge, and visibility ranging from 10 to 50'. Oh well, at least the water was warm and the fish plentiful.

Got to see (some) of the Benwood, French Reef, Molasses Reef, and a couple others. The wife dove on her first wreck, and got some experience riding the ladders. She lost a ring during one of her boardings, but otherwise did well.

We stayed at the Holiday Inn in Key Largo as part of the Sea Dwellers package. I guess some consider 18 divers a cattle boat, but it really wasn't too bad. On our last day (July 9th) there were some divers out of Moorehead City on board with us. Capt. Scott and crew Nick, Jerry, and Jessica were very friendly and helpful. Sea Dwellers takes your tanks off your back (and the BC) after you come up the ladder, that was a little different for us, but no biggie. I like the boat (50') layout, there was plenty of room for divers and gear, and you are allowed to go forward at anytime. The convenience of walking out of the hotel room and onto the boat can't be over estimated. Last time we stayed at Ocean Point Suites, which was very nice, but somewhat out of the way in Tavernier. A Divers Direct store is across the street from the Holiday Inn, but I managed not to spend too much on dive gear.

Apparently the conditions were very unusual for this time of year, but somehow I felt like I was home.

We also dove Epcot on the way down. Can't say I would have been impressed as just a land visitor, but the dive was awesome. I would definitely do it again. I understand that the new aquarium in Atlanta has started a dive program, I'm gonna have to check that out.

We finished out the week with a manatee snorkel tour and a visit to Ginnie Springs. The manatee tour was cool, I'd do it again. It was our third trip to Ginnie, but the first during this time of year. I'll probably stick to fall and spring, to avoid the crowds of snorkelers, floaters, and canoers.

How was the hotel. Were looking at staying there this Dec. Well, we are between Cozumel & Key Largo.

Both the Holiday Inn, and the Ramada, right next door, are both very nice. Clean, well kept, nice facilities.

The canal to open water separates the two hotels, so you're literally steps away from where you'll board -- no driving to the dock.

A number of dive ops go out from this location, and you'll see a few lined up along the dock.

Just got back from four days in Key Largo, 2-4 foot seas, stiff current, strong surge, and visibility ranging from 10 to 50'. Oh well, at least the water was warm and the fish plentiful.

Got to see (some) of the Benwood, French Reef, Molasses Reef, and a couple others. The wife dove on her first wreck, and got some experience riding the ladders. She lost a ring during one of her boardings, but otherwise did well.

We stayed at the Holiday Inn in Key Largo as part of the Sea Dwellers package. I guess some consider 18 divers a cattle boat, but it really wasn't too bad. On our last day (July 9th) there were some divers out of Moorehead City on board with us. Capt. Scott and crew Nick, Jerry, and Jessica were very friendly and helpful. Sea Dwellers takes your tanks off your back (and the BC) after you come up the ladder, that was a little different for us, but no biggie. I like the boat (50') layout, there was plenty of room for divers and gear, and you are allowed to go forward at anytime. The convenience of walking out of the hotel room and onto the boat can't be over estimated. Last time we stayed at Ocean Point Suites, which was very nice, but somewhat out of the way in Tavernier. A Divers Direct store is across the street from the Holiday Inn, but I managed not to spend too much on dive gear.

Apparently the conditions were very unusual for this time of year, but somehow I felt like I was home.

We also dove Epcot on the way down. Can't say I would have been impressed as just a land visitor, but the dive was awesome. I would definitely do it again. I understand that the new aquarium in Atlanta has started a dive program, I'm gonna have to check that out.

We finished out the week with a manatee snorkel tour and a visit to Ginnie Springs. The manatee tour was cool, I'd do it again. It was our third trip to Ginnie, but the first during this time of year. I'll probably stick to fall and spring, to avoid the crowds of snorkelers, floaters, and canoers.

Thnx for the report.

I am curious when and what dive site did you have 10 foot viz?

As has been posted in other threads, the Holiday Inn is a little dated, but has been kept up pretty well. I would stay there again. Various travel site reviews advised to avoid the hotel restaurant. We ate breakfast in the hotel (part of the Sea Dwellers package), nothing to rave about, but then again we didn't necessarily want to eat much before our morning dives. It was your standard continental plus buffet bar, it served the purpose. There is a restaurant called Coconuts which is next to the hotel and pretty much part of the complex, the Sea Dwellers crew strongly advised us not to eat there, we took their advice and ate a a local joint called Sharky's - it was pretty good, try the fish tacos.

The ten foot viz was on the Benwood, on 7-9-08 in the a.m.. It actually was kind of cool, with the bow section cloaked in shadows. There were a lot of fish on the wreck, and I liked the comfort of easy navigation that a wreck provides.

As has been posted in other threads, the Holiday Inn is a little dated, but has been kept up pretty well. I would stay there again. [snip] We ate breakfast in the hotel (part of the Sea Dwellers package), nothing to rave about, but then again we didn't necessarily want to eat much before our morning dives. It was your standard continental plus buffet bar, it served the purpose.

Good review of it. I've stayed at it also and was happy with the Holiday Inn. I'd stay there again also. Nothing fancy, but clean and nice.

Coconuts is pretty good and the free tacos at happy hour(tuesday) are excellent

Back
Top Bottom