NC Scuba Geocache: Bluestone Diver - Road to the Abyss

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GrierHPharmD

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I just realized that I've never posted a note here about the geocache that I placed in Bluestone Quarry.

For those of you who haven't played the game yet, it's a blast. All you need is a GPS receiver and access to the web. Visit www.geocaching.com for details.

The cache is located in a red Nalgene bottle and tied to the searchlight on the road at the SW end of the quarry. It's relatively shallow and easy to reach/find. When you see it, take a moment to sign and date the logbook inside (be sure to replace the pencil!) and then be sure to log your find at www.geocaching.com (it's free, of course!)

Here is the link to the listing on Geocaching.com:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=c2cd4e40-5a5e-4d61-9bc7-9a7accf2425f

Good luck and safe ascents,
Grier

<Posted concurrently to NCDivers.com, Scubaboard.com and charlottehammerheads.com>

Grier, on your way back home, stop by and check out Robins Branch...one my brother and I have out.

herman:
Grier, on your way back home, stop by and check out Robins Branch...one my brother and I have out.

Will do. Thanks for the lead.

All the best,
Grier

GrierHPharmD:
I just realized that I've never posted a note here about the geocache that I placed in Bluestone Quarry.

For those of you who haven't played the game yet, it's a blast. All you need is a GPS receiver and access to the web. Visit www.geocaching.com for details.

The cache is located in a red Nalgene bottle and tied to the searchlight on the road at the SW end of the quarry. It's relatively shallow and easy to reach/find. When you see it, take a moment to sign and date the logbook inside (be sure to replace the pencil!) and then be sure to log your find at www.geocaching.com (it's free, of course!)

Here is the link to the listing on Geocaching.com:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=c2cd4e40-5a5e-4d61-9bc7-9a7accf2425f

Good luck and safe ascents,
Grier

<Posted concurrently to NCDivers.com, Scubaboard.com and charlottehammerheads.com>

Grier...
How funny is it, that I stumbled upon your Geocache by accident a few months ago. I wasn't sure what it was, but had a clue from your posting a while back.

Red DAN Nalgene bottle, right?

I didn't take the liberty of signing, as I didn't find it on purpose... but just wanted to let you know your treasure is safe during my last visit to Bluestone (back in July).
The only GPS I have is no the boat. LOL.

-Bobby

No FTF yet, Grier?
Looks like a good one, I'd love to hunt for that one! How'd you get approval, though, if you have to pay to get into the park? I thought that was a GC no-no.

First of all, thanks for the note DJBobbyZee. And second, SueMermaid, I did something I usually don't think to do - I asked first.

I pointed out that the cache was in one of two commercial dive parks in central NC, and that most of the divers in the area dove at that park and used it for training. I also pointed out that, while we could place underwater caches in open water, as in my second cache, these were much more dangerous and therefore would not be accessible to the casual scuba diver.

As for the placement of the Bluestone cache, I deliberately placed it in plain site along the road. Several instructors have discovered it and use it as an activity on their OW dives, sort of like signing a yearbook or wedding register. I plan to add a laminated card that describes geocaching and references www.geocaching.com, but just haven't gotten around to it. There is a handwritten note in the log referring visitors to the web site. So far, nobody's logged the find online yet, though there are probly 40-50 signatures in the logbook. (The second logbook has lines and columns to keep folks from just signing anywhere.)

Now that I know how to easily create and sink a cache, I'm planning to place several more in the coming months/year. I hope to place caches at several lake cleanup sites that we're considering for a little trash dive in the spring. Maybe other folks will get the idea and carry out some trash while looking for the hides.

Anyway, thanks again for the notes. Hope to see you guys underwater some time...

-Grier

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom