NC Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JasonH20

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Just got back from a short stint for work over in North Carolina. My schedule has been hectic the last couple weeks, and it had been forever since I'd gone for a dive, so I decided to try to get a dive in while in NC!

I hooked up with fellow SB member Outlaws who was a great host. He picked me up at my hotel Saturday morning and drove me out to Lake Norman Quarry. I had flown over with everything but tanks and weights, so Outlaws stopped beforehand at his dive shop and picked up 2 PST 120's for me and loaned me his weight belt.

Out at the quarry I felt right at home. They are just as fanatical divers out there as we are here! :) I guess you have to be to go diving in 46 degree, low vis water. Brrr Anyways, BP/W's, long hoses, and doubles abounded. Actually, I think the quarries are a favorite "training" place for getting ready for diving wrecks off the coast, which was probably 3-4 hours from where I was.

Other than the water tasting much better than PS, the diving conditions were almost exactly like PS, until we dropped down below 40 feet or so. Then the vis really cleared up. I'm not good at estimating vis, but I'd say it was like 15-20 above 40 feet and 40 or so below.

The big difference is of course the sea life, or in this case the absence of sea life. In some areas there were HUGE boulder fields (duh "rock quarry"), and I kept wanting to poke my head in the cracks to look for GPO's, wolfies, and other critters! :) Rather than fishies though, we went and looked at a sunken cruiser boat about 35 feet long at 85 feet, and worked our way back up checking out some smaller boats and cars. Found some huge drainage pipes about 5ft in diameter and maybe 10 feet long that we practiced swimming through (I still need to work on my frog kick).

I also tried out my camera for the first time, but now I see my uploads didn't work last night. grrrr I'll post the pictures tonight when I get home....

Anyways, it felt great to get back under and I'm glad I went through the trouble of bringing my dive equipment with me. Not sure if I'll dive the quarry next time I go out there for business, but I'll definitely try to plan it so I can do a boat dive off the coast to a wreck!

Happy Diving!
Jason

Jason,
Glad you made it home safely. It was a pleasure showing you around to bad we didn't have enough time to do a coast trip, maybe next time. If you come back this way you know how to get in touch with me. Oh did you ever get you any grits?
Dive Safe, Dive Often
Butch :scubadive

outlaws:
Oh did you ever get you any grits?
Long story short, after you dropped me off, I didn't make it back to my hotel until about 2:30 am the next morning. I just crashed for a couple hours until I had to get back up to fly home.

Then my flight got delayed
Then I got bumped to another flight
Then I lost my seat assignment so I ended up middle seat the whole way back
Then they didn't serve any food besides some peanuts
At which point I was really wishing I'd taken your advice and tried the Waffle House! :wink:

I spent most of today trouble shooting stuff over the phone, so another trip to SC looks inevitable. :)

Thanks again,
Jason

Glad you had a good time. I was out there saturday afternoon for an Andy's drysuits demo day. We didnt go below 40 feet and the vis was bad but it was cool not freezing during the dive.
Were both of you diving wet? I went about 3 weeks ago and my feet were numb for two hours after I got out.
I really want a dry suit.

JasonH20:
Long story short, after you dropped me off, I didn't make it back to my hotel until about 2:30 am the next morning. I just crashed for a couple hours until I had to get back up to fly home.

Then my flight got delayed
Then I got bumped to another flight
Then I lost my seat assignment so I ended up middle seat the whole way back
Then they didn't serve any food besides some peanuts
At which point I was really wishing I'd taken your advice and tried the Waffle House! :wink:

I spent most of today trouble shooting stuff over the phone, so another trip to SC looks inevitable. :)

Thanks again,
Jason

plankspanker:
Glad you had a good time. I was out there saturday afternoon for an Andy's drysuits demo day. We didnt go below 40 feet and the vis was bad but it was cool not freezing during the dive.
Were both of you diving wet? I went about 3 weeks ago and my feet were numb for two hours after I got out.
I really want a dry suit.
Nope, not wet at all. I was in a ... well ... an Andy's dry suit! :)

No wonder so many people came over and asked how I liked my dry suit. I just figured it was because I looked so dashing in blue. :wink:

Well Jason next time you come here I'll make sure you don't leave the south without trying some grits! Even if you don't bring you dive gear give me a call. I'll take you to Waffle House!
Dive Safe, Dive Often
Butch :scubadive

OK, here are the photos!

First a couple photos of the quarry. As you can see it was a very pleasant day.

And here's a couple pictures of me and Outlaws hanging out at our safety stop. These happen to be the first two (and only so far) pictures I've taken with my camera underwater. I must say I'm pretty happy with the results, it seems to work really well!

Thanks,
Jason

Corigan:
Oh Lord, don't kill the poor man.

Matt
Matt, He has never had grits so I thought I would show him a little southern hospitality!

Butch

Jason,
The Pictures look really good! I'm suprised with the clarity, especially with the vis.

Dive Safe, Dive Often
Butch

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom