NC Dive Reports

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tuesday 08/16/05 excellent day for Diving !!!!
well after being out of water for some time due to medical promblems . I got finally ok to get back into water Hurray !!!
I had chance to go out with some folks from down under scuba from Raleigh NC excllent people !!!
temps 78 visability 80 plus on gill
we could see from surface all the way down .
morning frying pan good visability but heck of current !!!
lots of fish and lion fish are out !!!!!!!!!!!

Saturday
Normannia:
The seas we had picked up from what they were last week to a whopping 1-2 ft, it was a really nice day on the water. Surface temp was 85 and surface vis was at least 100 ft as it has been for the last few weeks. Water temp dropped to 75 by 70ft and vis was about 50ft. Max depth on the site is 115ft. The Normannia had it's normal host of tropicals, a few lobsters that eluded my site and of course lionfish. This is probably my favorite site off out coast so I had a great dive.

Lobster ledge:
Vis was about the same as the Normannia and the temp warmed up to 77 on the bottom. There was a lot of tropical life on the ledge, damselfish, blue and queen angels, and lots and lots of lionfish. There was a good amount of lobsters but a lot have eggs. Grouper were pretty scarce, I only saw one legal size gag. Max depth was 110. An awesome day of diving.

Sunday:
Gill-2 dives:
The seas picked up a little in the morning but laid down by the afternoon. Surface temp was a boiling 85 and the bottom was 80! This may be the warmest I've seen it on the bottom that far offshore. With the warm water came the African pompano which look like VW buses swimming thru, the Gill is a little close to shore to see them regularly. The vis on the bottom was 50ft. There were a few sand tigers patrolling the wreck and a large number of barracuda.

Nice pics and thanks for the report.

Thurs- 2 on the Cassmire. 80' viz water temps were 76 on bottom 81 on top. Beautiful dive. Plenty of microlife and lots of BIG grouper. Found a nice piece of brass in the bow section as well as some small tropicals for the aquarium. Seas were beautiful and the 47 mile ride from MHC was worth it.

Fri- Naeco - 80' of viz down to 100FSW then it was like hitting a wall. Lots of large particulates in the water giving us 20-25' viz at 135' with 72deg on bottom. Too cold for a wreck that close to the stream this time of year. The worst I've ever seen the Naeco. We did see the usual Lionfish that according to NOAA aren't in the Atlantic Ocean as well as a few other tropicals. Seas were pretty nice though.
Next we dove a ledge at Little 10. 5' of viz and not much to see here. Temps were in the upper 70s though.
Final dive of the day was on the Indra. 50' viz on the top deck and 20' on the bottom. 81 deg with a few cold spots scattered about and inside the wreck. Its interesting when the inshore wrecks have better viz than any of the offshore stuff.

Saturday - Did two on the Rosin wreck. 79F on the bottom, 84F up top. Current picked up and vis went down for the second dive. Beautiful wreck. The usual fishies and lots of flounder. Saw a big frogfish and some kind of weird green grouper. Never seen one that color before.

John

Date: 8/20-8/21

OK, I know it's only a quarry, but here's my report. Viz was 35'+. No current, but a light breeze. Very little surface swell. Didn't see too much life on the reefs, but the platforms were very pretty. Too bad I spent soo much u/w time far from any visual reference, so I might as well have been in a quarry. :yippie17:

Saturday (8/20): 3 practice Fundies dives with regular practice buddy. Getting better.
Sunday (8/21): 3 practice Fundies dives with regular practice buddy. Getting better. (notice a trend?) We did a final fun dive, practicing keeping good bouyancy while task loaded. We were able to be task loaded and stay within 2 inches +/-, while hovering 6 inches above the platform. But on the platform, this is easy. The hard part is without any visual reference.
Sunday (8/21): Got evaluated by my Fundies instructor. The dive went perfectly. Not a hitch. My instructor even applauded my lift bag deployment. Now, to take the written test...

In all honesty, I have a long way to go before I take Cave 1. I can hold my bouyancy to 2 feet +/- while heavily task loaded and no visual reference, but I want to get that down to 1 foot. Many thanks to all of you who endured through my training process. I'm always up for training dives. I hope you all will still put up with me now that I've converted to the kool-aid.

Mike

Mike Loyco:
Date: 8/20-8/21

Sunday (8/21): Got evaluated by my Fundies instructor. The dive went perfectly. Not a hitch. My instructor even applauded my lift bag deployment. Now, to take the written test...

In all honesty, I have a long way to go before I take Cave 1. I can hold my bouyancy to 2 feet +/- while heavily task loaded and no visual reference, but I want to get that down to 1 foot. Many thanks to all of you who endured through my training process. I'm always up for training dives. I hope you all will still put up with me now that I've converted to the kool-aid.

Mike

Great news Mike. Congrats are in order. This calls for monkeys!
:mfight: :monkeydan :mfight: :monkeydan :mfight: :monkeydan :mfight:

Saturday 8/20/05

Ashkabad: Seas about 3ft made for a bumpy ride out in our little boat. Hit the water about 9:45 with viz 40+ on the bottom and temp about 79f. Lots of amberjack and 1 large sea turtle.

Senateur Duhamel: Seas down to 1-2 ft, but visibility waaay down to maybe 10 ft. Temp at the bottom 81f. One decent nurse shark, about 5ft, and many flounder.

Frank

8/23/05

Beautiful day on the Box Wreck (aka Rockpile) despite a stiff current on the wreck. Vis was at least 80ft - blue water with lots of weeds on the surface. The wreck was covered with marine life - including a school of almost 30 Amberjack chasing bait. Saw 4 lionfish, no doubt there were many more.

We tried to head for the Ashkabad on the way back but the thunderstorms headed there first. Instead we ended up at the Aeolus. Water at the Aeolus was clear on top, but visability was down to ~30ft on the wreck itself. There were a couple of Sandtigers around, as well as the other usual suspects.

Overall, a nice day despite some thunderstorms. Conditions this summer have been awesome!

Rich

Back
Top Bottom