Navy training sub off a maui

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

VooDooGasMan

Contributor
Reaction score
Last night at happy hour I met a couple that had a charter boat in maui a few decades ago and I think it was blue something, any ways the navy got rid of it cause to many deaths occurred, and would presume the navy had some responsibility for it.

Also said they could take a parrot fish on a night dive and shu it in a bag and it would go to sleep and once surface it wake up and then they would have it for dinner.

That was the USS Bluegill USS Bluegill (SS-242) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia I know of no diver deaths on the sub. What I have been told was that the Navy was worried of potential liability and spent the money to raise and dump her in over 1000 feet to get rid of that potential.

Bluegill was decommissioned and stricken from the Naval Vessel Register on 28 June 1969. In 1971 she was sunk and moored to the bottom as a salvage trainer about two kilometers off Lahaina in 40 metres (130 ft) of water. For the next 13 years, her hull was used for underwater rescue training.
In November 1984, after a month of preparatory work, the twin Edenton-class salvage and rescue ships Beaufort (ATS-2) and Brunswick (ATS-3) raised ex-Bluegill and towed her to deep water where she was sunk with military honors.

Here is some on diving her: Ed Robinson's Diving Adventures - USS Bluegill Submarine Maui Wreck Dive

Gill thanx, that is the same time they were there, 71 to 84 I think they said. great links, now the bluegill is a sub dive!!!!!!! too see it!!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom