Navy Ship runs aground in Hawaii

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

oops.... that's gonna cost somebody!

Dear Admiral-

This might not seem funny now, but what happened was....

...you just had to be there!

Respectfully

Capt. Whoops
USN Retired

brett

Hmmm...maybe the captain already had his retirement papers submitted with plans to open a shop and run wreck diving trips in the area.

I'm wondering, with all the hi tech stuff they have...how does a Navy ship manage to run aground?

I'm wondering, with all the hi tech stuff they have...how does a Navy ship manage to run aground?

When a Navy ship is brought into the harbor it is directed by Pilot/Tug Boats. The entire operation is run by the boat pilot. If they screw up, the ship does not and usually cannot correct it.

Last I remember, in Pearl Habor the Sea and Anchor (time to get in or out of port) is a couple of hours. So this is a couple of hours that your ship is in the hands of another.

When I was in Norfolk, our ship ran aground and our captain was temp relieved of duty but brought back because it was determined that the Pilot Captian was a little tipsy which caused him to give bad directions and we ended up with $50M in damages. Lost a main engine, main reduction gear, bent the propeller shaft and broke/bent the propeller as well as tore a seam in the hull. Really it was a bad day.

Back
Top Bottom