navy seals and rocket fins?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

they use whatever they want, they are SEALs afterall. in training they use whatever Jets and Rockets they have laying about. Once they get into their units they are allowed to select whatever they wish for fins. In working along side them for years, the most common was by far ForceFins, with a sprinkling of others (primarily Jets). Although, its been years since I worked along side them and things may have changed. I do remember seeing hundreds of bio-fins, volos, those stupid hinged things strewn to the storage bin, but almost never in the water.

... and Oceaner, and Pinnacle, and Viking. and those are just what I can recall.

Apollo has sold well over 700 pairs of Apollo bio-fin pro's to the special ops community in the past 30 days. I doubt these fins are headed for some diving locker, most likely on an operators feet.

These special ops troops, SEALS, USMC Recon, DELTA, Rangers, choose what works best for them. They are not concerned with brand wars, or hype. They want what works.

We are privileged to support them.

Idi Frog fins have also been a favorite because they can be used without booties.

When I was a lot younger, I was involved in a youth naval program (Sea Cadets... somewhat like a beefed up military version of the boy scouts). I did a 2-week training instructed by SEALS, and during that time, they let us rummage through some of their leftovers. Among these items were fins. They are U.D.T. fins. I assume these may have been a 'standard issue' fin, but I could be wrong, or things may have changed... maybe that's why they let us have them?

At the time, I didn't dive or have a reason for fins, but I thought they were badass... especially to recieve from the SEALS. I grabbed a pair of XL's so I could grow into them and always them in life, rather than be rendered useless 2 years later. Needless to say, I still have them, they fit like a glove (or should I say, sock? haha!), and they are actually my primary fins! They're extremely sturdy and I get loads of propulsion with minimal effort. They're a bit heavy compared to other fins, but I have absolutely zero complaints about that. I also feel like I'm part ninja when I put these on... since they have been issued to me by SEALS (which is hands down the coolest and best thing about 'em)!! I really love them!

That said though, I'm looking into getting another set of fins I can wear with boots on, as I can only wear these with bare feet. I'll definately be getting a similiar fin, but maybe with a spring strap this time around (got my eye on the Hollis F1's).

People have pretty much beat the high speed low drag bubbas use what they want in to the ground, but since I happened to be swimming laps in the same pool as the dive motivators today I can tell you that I saw probably five or six different brands, I didn't see which ones, but the only common theme seems to be black, non-split and aftermarket straps. I am NOT in a high speed low drag community nor do I have the physicality to be in one, but I have provided support and I can echo they pretty much wear whateverthehell they want. Also, fwiw I've never actually seen a SEAL wearing a piece of kit that said "Navy SEAL" on it.

Back
Top Bottom