Navigation error in a cave

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Buddy #1 is the only buddy I dove caves since finishing my course. We have done about 25 cave dives with just two of us. There were no other active ones until buddy #2 came into the picture.
This is something worth noting.
In a team of three, cruising along normally in the order {A} (leading) - {B} - {C} (following), the main team responsibilities of {A} are basically 'make sure that "someone" is behind me (i.e. I can regularly see a relaxed passive light communication coming from behind)'
The responsibilities of {B} are then 'make sure that {C} is still behind me (i.e. I can regularly see a relaxed passive light communication from behind), while letting {A} know that I'm still here (i.e. regularly giving {A} a relaxed passive light signal).
If you are in position {A}, it can be difficult to distinguish between one or two lights behind you, but in any case {A}'s main responsibility is just confirming that there is still someone behind them. It is {B}'s main responsibility to make sure that {C} is still there (and if not, to let {A} know...)
So in your case, #1/{A} may have been being reassured that the team was still together because #2/{B} was telling him that, however #2/{B} was failing in his duty to make sure you as #3/{C} were also with them.
At a navigational decision or other 'event' - i.e. a bottle drop - I would think this would be a time for the entire team to briefly check in with each other - even something as simple as confirming a quick full set of light OK light signals around however you have agreed to mark a T - so at these points #1/{A} would take a larger part of responsibility for failing to confirm the entire team was together.

It might be that the breakdown of communication is at buddy #2 - he should be keeping up with #1 and making sure #3 is not left behind, signaling to #1 to slow down if needed.
Interesting pieces of info. So yes, if buddy #2 come and some minor problems started, it is worth adjusting your practices in order to be on the same wavelength.

@huwporter, just a small note: @Hiszpan isn't calling his buddies #1 and #2 due to their order inside the cave; #1 and #2 are just names, as far as I understood. I believe that is clear to you, but it's always better to avoid confusion :)

@huwporter, just a small note: @Hiszpan isn't calling his buddies #1 and #2 due to their order inside the cave; #1 and #2 are just names, as far as I understood. I believe that is clear to you, but it's always better to avoid confusion :)
Good point, I have changed to use {A} - {B} - {C} on general role descriptions to avoid confusion, however I think it is implied from the original description ("Diver number 2 to pedal ahead following diver number 1") that #1 was indeed in front on the specific dive described in the original post.

3 of us went diving in a cave. Only 1 of us has been there before (numerous times) and that was not me. We were all on OC.

What went wrong:

1) I was the 3rd diver. At the first T, I took the wrong turn and went on a different line than my two buddies ahead of me.
2) I have followed the wrong line until it finished with a blind jump to another line. I saw my buddies' lights at the far end of the blind jump line and, knowing they are far ahead and being mad thinking they were on my line and did a blind jump and are not waiting for me, I decided to blind jump on it to catch them up without losing precious time.
3) The blind jump line finished with another blind jump to get to the mainline where my buddies recently were seen and where they left canceling arrows (as there was another exit closer to that point than the entrance we came from).

Contributing factors:

1) I took my new video lights and 2 cameras: GoPro on a helmet and DJI on my hand to film. This was supposed to be an easy recon dive after many years of not being in that cave.
2) We built a lot of distance between us as the 2nd diver and myself took oxy tanks to drop them off on the mainline just after the entrance, at 6m, just in case we need them for deco. Took me long enough for diver number 2 to pedal ahead following diver 1 who was not leaving the oxy tank.
3) At the T my buddies did not wait for me to confirm the exit direction before proceeding (as I was taught). I only saw their lights flashing for a second when I got to the T and being preoccupied with a camera on my hand I took the line which I thought best represents the direction they followed.
4) On previous dives it happened that the buddies went much ahead of me and did not wait. This time they lost me for a good few minutes and did not realize I am not behind them until I caught up with them.
5) On previous dives diver number 1 who is the most experienced of all in terms of dives and diving caves here sometimes suggested the plan to do a blind jump on small gaps that we previously traveled to on a dive. I objected each time and we never did it, but this made me believe he was capable of doing a blind jump on this dive and I was convinced I am on the same line they have just traveled (until we surfaced and debriefed - a lot of arguing happened then.)
6) I hit my head of the stalactite before the dive when carrying tanks to the cave opening. I took nothing of it but my head hurt for a few days after the dive which means I must have affected my thinking at the dive without me realizing it (too much excitement of going cave diving!)

Lessons:

1) Do not take camera/video lights on your first time in a new cave, no matter how benign the dive is planned.
2) Do not ever suggest doing blind jumps to your buddies as it might make them think you actually did it and confuse them.
3) Do wait at the T's for other buddies behind you to confirm exit direction - this will make sure they turn to the correct line.
4) Do check behind at your buddies and wait if you lost their lights. Do a lost diver drill when you realize you lost a buddy.
5) Do not dive with buddies who do not adhere to points 2,3 and 4?
6) Training is for a reason.

The good thing about having had cameras is that I have recorded the whole thing. I am also attaching a map that I drew for better reference of the videos.

Helmet camera from before the oxygen tank to getting back to the mainline.

Hand camera of turning onto the wrong line at the T

Blind jumping on the blind jump line with buddies' lights flashing in the distance.
I find it is good practice that all divers place a cookie at every junction.

Back
Top Bottom