Navigation error in a cave

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

huwporter

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Buddy #1 is the only buddy I dove caves since finishing my course. We have done about 25 cave dives with just two of us. There were no other active ones until buddy #2 came into the picture.
This is something worth noting.
In a team of three, cruising along normally in the order {A} (leading) - {B} - {C} (following), the main team responsibilities of {A} are basically 'make sure that "someone" is behind me (i.e. I can regularly see a relaxed passive light communication coming from behind)'
The responsibilities of {B} are then 'make sure that {C} is still behind me (i.e. I can regularly see a relaxed passive light communication from behind), while letting {A} know that I'm still here (i.e. regularly giving {A} a relaxed passive light signal).
If you are in position {A}, it can be difficult to distinguish between one or two lights behind you, but in any case {A}'s main responsibility is just confirming that there is still someone behind them. It is {B}'s main responsibility to make sure that {C} is still there (and if not, to let {A} know...)
So in your case, #1/{A} may have been being reassured that the team was still together because #2/{B} was telling him that, however #2/{B} was failing in his duty to make sure you as #3/{C} were also with them.
At a navigational decision or other 'event' - i.e. a bottle drop - I would think this would be a time for the entire team to briefly check in with each other - even something as simple as confirming a quick full set of light OK light signals around however you have agreed to mark a T - so at these points #1/{A} would take a larger part of responsibility for failing to confirm the entire team was together.

ginti

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
It might be that the breakdown of communication is at buddy #2 - he should be keeping up with #1 and making sure #3 is not left behind, signaling to #1 to slow down if needed.
Interesting pieces of info. So yes, if buddy #2 come and some minor problems started, it is worth adjusting your practices in order to be on the same wavelength.

@huwporter, just a small note: @Hiszpan isn't calling his buddies #1 and #2 due to their order inside the cave; #1 and #2 are just names, as far as I understood. I believe that is clear to you, but it's always better to avoid confusion :)

huwporter

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
@huwporter, just a small note: @Hiszpan isn't calling his buddies #1 and #2 due to their order inside the cave; #1 and #2 are just names, as far as I understood. I believe that is clear to you, but it's always better to avoid confusion :)
Good point, I have changed to use {A} - {B} - {C} on general role descriptions to avoid confusion, however I think it is implied from the original description ("Diver number 2 to pedal ahead following diver number 1") that #1 was indeed in front on the specific dive described in the original post.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Top Bottom