Navarre Beach Marine Sanctuary and Artificial Reef ..... shore dive...need answers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Granny Scuba

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I am having trouble finding some basic info on diving the Navarre Beach Marine Sanctuary and Artificial Reef. Someone said they think it opened for divers on Oct 1, 2012
Does anyone know:
How deep it is is?
How far off shore it is?
Do you dive it with the tides>
Is there ample parking?
Is Diving restricted to certain hours?
Is the construction finished with a green light for divers?
What is the street address so that I can enter it in my GPS?

I found this official link Project Summary , but I couldnt find the above answers.
Thanks.
Granny

---------- Post Merged at 11:20 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 11:16 AM ----------

After a litle more research I understand that you can dive the sound side and gulf side. Has anyone dove each side and could elaborate.
Thanks again,
Granny

I used to dive the pier rubble on the Gulf side (West of the current reef, and no longer in existence). Tides are less of an issue than surf and cross current. Please pay close attention to the surf. A woman died in Navarre about five years ago doing a surf entry. The surf was relatively small that day, and she was an experienced diver. Keep your mask on, and your reg in from start to finish, even if you're only in heel-deep water (which is still enough to kill you).

I'd be surprised if yo could get out far enough to exceed 25ft, but my understanding is that the current reef is closer to 15ft, which is about the average max depth in that stretch anyway.

We "tried" to dive the snorkel reef on the sound side today (Oct 19). There was very little viz, you could barely see your hand in front of your face. On the sound side there are 2 snorkeling areas (about 10-15 ft deep) We were told there were stacked concrete disks out there. One of the park employees told us that the tide has no effect on viz because the sound is so long the same water just washes back and forth. We were told the only good viz is in Jan & Feb.

We did not have time to try the Gulf Side. We were told it is hard to find because the Army Corp of Engineers will not allow the artificial reefs to be marked because the water is considered navagible. We were told the dive area is about 300 ft off shore (only 15-20 ft deep we were told) There is some way you can line up a PVC pipe on the beach to determine the location.

Navarre Beach Marine Sanctuary and Artificial Reef .....

I was actually talking with Steve from USA Scuba today about this location. To find the gulf side location, which he was at last week, you go over the Navarre bridge and make a left at the stop sign to go into the area where the pavillions are. Go to the last pavilion on the right (gulf side) and park, Go through the pavilion and onto the beach and go left on the beach. He said you will find markers in the sand of a few posts. Go straight out. Its about 100 yards or so. He said its just past the second sand bar and viz was 30'+ last week with some flounder and an octopus or two. He said it was about 20' deep or so.

I hope this helps you. My wife and I may try this in a couple weeks.

The information from Steve is 100% correct. There are showers and ample parking at the pavilion. Tide doesn't matter, although visibility can vary from awesome to crap inside of an hour. I live on the island so I just hop the dune and go/no go...the park is technically closed at dark, although I have never seen that enforced. The sound side will be better once the temp drops a little more. It is very clear in the winter, no so good yet.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom