Naval Sonar

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes, it looks like the NRDC's actions were justified in the judge's eyes. No surprise as I feel LFA sonar does have the potential for serious damage and feel we have no right to subject the residents of the world's oceans to it.

Dr. Bill

News reports are so full of crap.

The judge didn't stop anything; she limited where and when it can be used. Everyone is making out like they stopped the Navy from using it. Bah.

Here is the actual link to the ruling.

Ruling

I'm concerned about reports that I read suggesting large scale ill effects on marine life from Naval sonar, but I'm just as concerned about the touchy feely types who would compromise an extremely important element of submarine warfare, submarine warfare is at the forefront of our military doctrine, and it should not be compromised without having the facts and making the right judgement calls on national security zeN||

Knavey once bubbled...
I would NOT trade one American Soldier, Sailor, Airman, or Marines life over ANY creature that swims, walks or flies.

I would.

I can only marginaly understand why people think that we're best and we deserve it all.

In the end, a life is a life. A humpback, a bluegill, your Aunt Joan, the mosquito that you'll swat on labor day... they are all only a simple life. The same miracle. Who are any of us to decide which one is more important?

As quoted by someone earlier (refering to studies finished in 1998/99)
Although the analysis of data from the three studies is not yet complete, preliminary results do not suggest any biologically significant impact of exposure to the LFA test signal in the types of conditions where SURTASS LFA would actually be employed.

Having worked within naval research it comes as no surprise to me that the results have not been comletely analysed. The fact however, that they can believe that 4-5 years is allowable for such data interpretation is just ludicrous. Gotta keep funding coming in from the Pentagon.

A few comments about the original subject of this thread.

Who gave the US the right to license the use of LFA technology in international waters? The power and range of LFA will surely extend beyond the terretorial limits of the US. Surely, in an ideal world, international waters are communal and belong to every country (who have a coastline at least). I am aware that this argument could be used for many aquatic activities though going there doesn't add anything to this discussion.

A few have talked about the rate at which energy is dissipated being inverse square of the radius but also remember that energy is also proportional to wavelength (inversely to frequency). This is the primary interest in LFA after all is it not (after all thousands of elephants can't be wrong).

Some here obviously feel that LFA is great white hope for national security but what real benefits does it bring. Other navies are researching passive sonar technologies. Maybe their concept is that it is easier to hear a whisper when you're not shouting (hmmm.... could that be applied elsewhere? :wink:)

Shout goin out to DrBill & Saying for displaying some moderate sanity out there :wave:

As a last thought

There is no such thing as proof just a convincing argument.

This thread had gotten way off topic with more political mud slinging than discussion about sonars. So, although this discussion started over a year ago, I went back to the first and split the discussions that were predominatly political, regardless of who was posting it. If some of the discussions seem a bit disjointed, that's why.

If the discussions continue to get sidetracked to politics, I'll have no choice but to close it altogether.

Dee
Regulator

Back
Top Bottom