nautilus swell/explorer?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

askdjasd

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Has anyone done the swell to port hardy?
$1950 for 8 days of diving..

opinions?

Anyone want to go next year?

Day 1: Evening board in Port Hardy. Depart for Shushartie Bay
Day 2: Shushartie Bay and reposition to Browning Pass late afternoon
Day 3: Browning Pass
Day 4: Browning Pass
Day 5: Deserter Group
Day 6: Stubbs Island
Day 7: Pearse Islands
Day 8: disembark in Port Hardy in a.m.

I have been on the Nautilus Explorer to Port Hardy. And it's 6 days of diving, 7 nights aboard the boat. The extra day is either the day you disembark or the day you board.

The diving is dependent on the current. You only get 3 dives a day, when the current is slack or turning. There is plenty to do when you aren't diving. Anytime divers want to be taken out on the zidiac, it happens. There's lots to see up there on top of the water too.

The diving is very cold (high 40's) and most divers use Argon for to fill their Dry Suits. I went to get pictures of basket stars and I got lots of them. You will need a good light, probably a LED or HID with battery attached to your waist belt.

This diving is advanced diving. You exit and re-board a live boat. It uses a jet drive so divers are never subject to a prop. Most diving is in the 70' area. The visibility is not good until about 50'.

The food is good and plentiful. They also have a bar and you can run a tab if you are inclined.

askdjasd, I think you better stay at home, the diving sounds toooooo cold for you. And the need for a good light, and the vis, man do you think you can handle this type of diving? :wink: :wink:

Tell you what, you pay for the trip and I will go in your place :) and pay for Dale also so he can come to.

Who was it that said..."just do it" :) You'll love it.

cold water diving???
I dunno :p

How bout you and Dale buy the trip and give it to me as a christmas present, I'll take your camera and snap some amazing shots of various urinals, out houses, and the always pleasant toilet after yours truly has used it.

I think this is an incredible deal!

ps, on the last day.. I'll upload all the photos to my laptop then throw the camera and housing overboard.

NOW THAT IS A DEAL!

Did I strike a nerve or something askdjasd? :) lol j/k

I don't think the Swell has actually started up yet as a dive boat has it?

Has anyone done the swell to port hardy?
$1950 for 8 days of diving..

opinions?

Anyone want to go next year?

Day 1: Evening board in Port Hardy. Depart for Shushartie Bay
Day 2: Shushartie Bay and reposition to Browning Pass late afternoon
Day 3: Browning Pass
Day 4: Browning Pass
Day 5: Deserter Group
Day 6: Stubbs Island
Day 7: Pearse Islands
Day 8: disembark in Port Hardy in a.m.

I don't think the Swell has actually started up yet as a dive boat has it?

according to the site, they're already booking for next year.. so... i guess so =)

It's a brand new boat to the company -- it replaces the Explorer, because changes in Canadian regulations would have made it necessary to do prohibitively expensive alterations to the older boat. 2011 will be their first season with it. A friend who has toured the boat said that it was very, very nice.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom