nautical anthropology

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MentalMarine

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I am not sure if this in the right area, but I am going to give it a shot. I am currently going to school at Ohio State U. and I am thinking about getting into nautical/maritime archaeology. They don’t have a program specific for this but they have the general anthropology courses and what not. I haven’t really talked to a lot of people about this, so I am asking anyone if they have any experience with this for suggestions or tips about pursuing this. I can pick this up as a minor relatively easy; a major would take a few more quarters, so I would end up with two degrees. I have exhausted most of my scholarships and financial aid on my International Studies degree, so if anyone knows of anyone/organizations offering scholarships, that would be a tremendous help.

Thanks
Landen

I have a M.A. in Nautical Archaeology from Texas A&M University. They were the first University to have a specific program for this discipline. You say you can major in it, is that right? Would that be at Ohio? It kind of read like you could not then like you could so I am unsure what you were saying. To get a job, you will need at least an M.A. if not a PhD. If you want to volunteer, that is another story and you could possible find training from the organization you volunteer with.

If you want to be marketable, you might try supplementing your training with other training like geophysic (remote sensing), ROV (remotely operated vehicles), underwater photography or videography.

You can also go through a program like the Nautical Archaeology Society. They are not an academic organization but they offer some extremely good training.

anyway, I hope that helps.

Layne

Ohio State University doesn’t have that specific program but a college of anthropology, which would get me in the right direction to start off. I got the go ahead from the wife to look into this, she is currently going back for her Masters, so I have time to do what I want as well. I have looked into several different organizations here in Ohio, for example MAST. Do you find with a MA in Nautical Archaeology, that there are a lot of opportunities for work?

That depends on what you are willing to do. If you want to work for an environmental engineering firm, you might find some opportunities and yes you will need at least an M.A. These companies are hired to to survey where gas pipelines are being installed or some other type of construction/ destruction projects need to be conducted. The gas company is required to hire a firm to do an archaeological assessment to verify there are no underwater cultural resources that will be disturbed or destroyed by the proposed work. most of this positions will require you to travel a lot. These are not the most glamorous jobs either. Don't think you will be working on a historic shipwreck. More than likely you will be identifying discarded pipes or barrels.

Let me ask you, what do you envision as the ultimate job for which you would want to get this degree.

Layne

Work: you can always find work, whether you can get paid a living wage is the trick. As LVX stated above, Texas A&M has the most mature and comprehensive program of its type. You should investigate their program fully, and be sure to talk with former students. The other graduate US programs (similar in purpose) called Underwater Archaeology or Maritime Archaeology are at Florida State http://www.anthro.fsu.edu/research/uw/, East Carolina, M.I.T./Woods Hole, Brown, Indiana, and Penn State.

The US Park Service has an entire Maritime Archaeology division, and there's The Smithsonian, and NOAA. Here's an actual jobs list: http://www.geocities.com/underwaterarchaeologyjobs/

daniel f aleman:
Work: you can always find work, whether you can get paid a living wage is the trick. As LVX stated above, Texas A&M has the most mature and comprehensive program of its type. You should investigate their program fully, and be sure to talk with former students. The other graduate US programs (similar in purpose) called Underwater Archaeology or Maritime Archaeology are at Florida State, East Carolina, M.I.T./Woods Hole, Brown, Indiana, and Penn State.

The US Park Service has an entire Maritime Archaeology division. Here's an actual jobs list: http://www.geocities.com/underwaterarchaeologyjobs/

Just keep in mind there are literally hundreds of other people looking at the job board and applying to every one of those jobs. You statement about always finding work in this field is absolutely NOT TRUE even not making a living wage. There is a lot of competition out there so it pays to have other talents like I listed.

And for jobs like at the Park Service or with a State agency, you will need to wait for the current occupants to die before those jobs will be available. And most will require you to have a PhD.

Layne

The University of West Florida also has a program in Historical Archaeology, and you can choose to specialize in marine or terrestrial. This is a fairly young program (10-12 years old), and several of the staff are A&M grads who came over to excavate the Emmanuel Point wreck.

Layne,

OBVIOUSLY, there are ALWAYS jobs available - whether you can find one that suits you and pays well is the tough part. I get work offers every year, but most are for no pay, or have modest pay for expenses. If I had a PhD., I'd get my own research money and do what I wanted.

Ag up, and get out there...

I tend to want to do EVERYTHING, so it would have to be flexible with changing demands and challenges. I wish I could just work on historic shipwrecks, but I acknowledge that isn’t possible. I think the ultimate job would have to deal with maritime preservation or forensic anthropology. Currently I am majoring in International Studies: Security and Intelligence. I am trying to find a field that I can take my education and experience that I learn working, into things that I love doing outside of work (i.e. volunteering.).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom