Nauseated during dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

When people vomit they will have an involuntary inhale so if your regulator is not in your mouth you could drown
Inhaling water isn't much good for your lungs.
Not necessarily. See my Vomit thread on Dive Physics/Medicine, etc.
Of course I, like all, agree with telling people to keep the reg in. Especially if you're not all that comfortable in water, a new diver, or have airway skills problems.

Funny someone mentioned Key Largo - I got sick two times there. Both times, I took my reg out purged around me and put back in. Didnt concern me, but pretty comfortable taking it out and putting back in. The wife and daughter said the fish school was amazing.

There is something about that dive (20' or so at Molasses) that didnt agree with me - the surge and being so shallow.

I wouldnt recommend what I do to someone just what worked for me, but I am very comfortable.

Now, need to think about if I was at 80'

From the safety stop, you mean or?
Usually around 20 ft to 0. Before then I'll do maybe 10-30 ft/min. I always try to take it nice and slow coming up. I don't know why, but it makes a huge difference for me. I've suggested it to others that had other issues and it seem to help some of them.

Not necessarily. See my Vomit thread on Dive Physics/Medicine, etc. Of course I, like all, agree with telling people to keep the reg in. Especially if you're not all that comfortable in water, a new diver, or have airway skills problems.

Well this is really directed at the OP who is new to diving. Once you have several vomit episodes I found I am not anxious or stressed when I chum the water for the fish feeding. I have found other divers who see me chum the water get stressed out and one diver joined me as the sight alone was enough to send her into a vomiting episode.

Vomiting in the water is just another dive skill for me and it comes naturally without fear of anything bad happening.

I will search for your thread. BTW vomiting is one skill I think needs to be covered more in OW classes.

Well this is really directed at the OP who is new to diving. Once you have several vomit episodes I found I am not anxious or stressed when I chum the water for the fish feeding. I have found other divers who see me chum the water get stressed out and one diver joined me as the sight alone was enough to send her into a vomiting episode.

Vomiting in the water is just another dive skill for me and it comes naturally without fear of anything bad happening.

I will search for your thread. BTW vomiting is one skill I think needs to be covered more in OW classes.
Agree. Akimbo posted the thread link a couple of posts back.

I didn't get seasick until later on in my dive experience. I know I get seasick pretty bad but I have BPV (Vertigo) which doesn't help. The transdermal scop (patch) works great, except for the dry mouth. Bonine/Meclizine is for the strong bouts of sickness, it makes you a tad sleepy. Dramamine is for light bouts of motion sickness. The more comfortable you get with the routine (lugging gear from the car to the dive spot) and the more experience in the water, you'll be okay. Oh, and yes, keep that regulator in your mouth and prepare to hit that purge button.

I recommend eating lightly in the morning. Nothing acidic, like OJ or grapefruit - it burns something terrible coming up. I prefer bananas and peanut butter - taste the same going down as going up, scrambled eggs, oatmeal, and breads/bagels.

It was covered quite well in my OW and that's why these couple of decades or more, I still distinctly remember it.

I didn't get seasick until later on in my dive experience. I know I get seasick pretty bad but I have BPV (Vertigo) which doesn't help. The transdermal scop (patch) works great, except for the dry mouth. Bonine/Meclizine is for the strong bouts of sickness, it makes you a tad sleepy. Dramamine is for light bouts of motion sickness. The more comfortable you get with the routine (lugging gear from the car to the dive spot) and the more experience in the water, you'll be okay. Oh, and yes, keep that regulator in your mouth and prepare to hit that purge button.

I recommend eating lightly in the morning. Nothing acidic, like OJ or grapefruit - it burns something terrible coming up. I prefer bananas and peanut butter - taste the same going down as going up, scrambled eggs, oatmeal, and breads/bagels.
Seconding that. If you have Benign Paroxysmal Positional Vertigo (the most common type) having your head at weird angles can give you vertigo. I was in an actual lake last night, dead flat, and I still feel a bit seasick because it kicked off my vertigo.

I did two shore dives for certification, and got really nauseous under water. Like, almost-puking-into-my-regulator nauseous. I think it was either the salt water I swallowed, the back and forth current, or both. Has anyone else experienced this? What did you do?

Fortunately, our final two certification dives are in a reservoir so I imagine I won't have this problem again. But it sucks if, every time I dive in the ocean, I get sick once I'm under.

Puking into the reg? Well, no, I removed it before puking... but I do know what you are talking about!
I got very nauseous on the surface while snorkeling.
That is (among other things) why I became a cave diver.
There are no waves in caves.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom