NAUI versus PADI

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'd step away from the Organization bashing... While the approach (imho NAUI is more theory based, and enforces rescue skills in all certification levels over PADI), I'd say it is more the instructor than the agency. My point of reference is certifications through YMCA, PDIC, NAUI, SDI/TDI, my wife's certification through PADI, and my daughter's NAUI certification.

Good instructor is more important than an agency

Good comment.

Learning to dive with a good instructor is key, regardless of agency.

PADI has, warranted or not, developed a reputation as -flash the cash and you are certified, buy another specialty certification and another book/DVD etc.

As you stated bumcikaz, it is the instructor who really matters, choose carefully.

IMHO, the longer the course, the more open water training, the better the new diver.

Welcome to the dive world.

You now can explore the rest of our water planet.

that's a bit unfair of a statement in my opinion *as a NAUI instructor btw*.

PADI has given a very regimented training program for the instructors. They do this in order to make the most amount of money while subjecting themselves to the least amount of liability. They are very good at making money. In general, this comes at an overall lower quality of education since they have little ability to hold their instructors to a higher level due to the sheer quantity of them. The courses they provide as a whole are "good enough".

As an instructor, PADI can be very restricting if you are trying to go way over and above what is prescribed, but those instructors are few an far between.

In general, the experience with NAUI will be the same because the best way to make money is the way PADI has organized their courses and NAUI's minimum standards are pretty similar.

Where the differences show up are in the flexibility the instructors have to go above and beyond and that is why university, scientific diving, etc. type programs are almost exclusively NAUI. Doesn't make them better overall, just better at something that PADI doesn't really care about because it isn't anywhere near as profitable as the churn and burn diveshop way of teaching. Pros and cons, and you have some truly incredible PADI instructors, and some positively wretched NAUI instructors as @boulderjohn has documented on here previously.

It sounds like you got lucky with a great instructor which is what matters, but at the recreational level I typically recommend just going to find a cheap certification that is quick and good enough to keep you from dying, then go find a mentor who will actually teach you to dive since it is impossible to teach a truly comprehensive course with as little bottom time as they allot in dive shop courses.

Thank you for the great advice. I'm certain , what matters the most is the Integrity of the instructor. I believe in the "Knowledge is Power" point of reference. I have spent many hours reading and conversing though this forum. My goal at this point is to get many dives accomplished and to practice new skills as much as possible. And of course "Be Safe" first and foremost. Also I/we (my dive buddy, has less dives than myself, BUT, has a big boat) could use someone as a Mentor and educator. If anyone is available in the South West Florida area (Cape Coral/Fort Myers) region I/we would very happy to train with you.Send me a message with contact info . Please

Reactions: mdb
Hi @Brian Robinson

Do you think you are actually in a position to make such a sweeping generalization concerning scuba training organizations?

You may want to go in and fix your profile regarding your training organization
upload_2017-7-12_11-21-55.png

I will admit that, after being away from scuba diving for over 35 years, when I came back to it recently, I quickly came to realize that PADI had evolved into an organization that nickel and dimes you for every little thing. Honestly, I don't much care for that.

However, there was something else I came to realize. When I first certified with PADI back in 1979, the big dog on the block was NAUI. At least that's what it felt like. I don't have any actual numbers to back that up. The only reason I certified with PADI was because I took a college scuba class and by chance is was a PADI cert.

When I came back to the sport a few months ago, I'm embarrassed to say that it took me a while to realize that NAUI even still existed. There just aren't any NAUI instructors/shops in my area any more. Seemed like back in the late 70s, there were NAUI instructors everywhere. Anyway, as I see it, PADI is now the big dog on the block (like it or not).

PADI may have its faults but, they didn't get to be the big dog by dumb luck or providing less than adequate training. And, as someone already mentioned, it's less about the certifying body and more about the instructor. I don't care whose card I'm carrying as long as I've attained the skills I need to be safe in the water.

I had the opportunity to choose between a Naui or a PADI certification. Due to my finding a NAUI LDS in my area. I did all of my internet research and I choose the NAUI over the PADI operations. I found the NAUI certification to be a more safety detailed training course. It seems to me that the PADI is just a commercial cookie cutter type of course which is more interested in getting your cash than giving you proper training. Just my opinion of course.

Are you asking a question here or just trying to provoke a debate over your opinions?

As I understand your post, you made a decision to go with NAUI. That's a great choice. PADI would have been a great choice, too.

Last edited by a moderator:

Back
Top Bottom