NAUI to PADI

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NAUI is part of universal referral, but it's always best to stay with an instructor of the same agency if possible. Get it all lined up before you leave on your trip.

Walter is correct... 10 metres or 30 feet per minute for sport diving exposures has become the closest thing to an industry norm... a whole other topic is how closely most divers follow that suggestion. I would venture less than 50 percent.

Sorry to hijack thread.

Really, do most people ascend faster than 30 ft per minute? I can't understand why? I don't want to leave the water, so the last thing I want to do is ascend fast. That, and I pretty much do as long of a 10 ft stop as I (and the people diving with me) can stand.

Last I read, PADI was teaching 30 fpm also. 60 fpm was the old standard.

No according to a friend of mine who is a PADI instructor. He said he expects a change to 30 ft/min.

No according to a friend of mine who is a PADI instructor. He said he expects a change to 30 ft/min.

The classes I've sat in on speak about 30 fpm as a standard, and 60 fpm only in an emergency situation. Could be instructors teaching out of standards, but still.

The classes I've sat in on speak about 30 fpm as a standard, and 60 fpm only in an emergency situation. Could be instructors teaching out of standards, but still.

People often think what they've seen in class reflects the standards and policies of the agency. It's not always the case.

When I was certified in 2005, PADI was still teaching 60 fpm. My instructor recommended 30 fpm.

I took my PADI open and advanced open water course this past winter in Mexico. It was at a very reputable and well known dive shop, but three months later I've find out my instructor lost his teaching status and didn't complete the paperwork with PADI to complete my certification. I emailed the dive shop and the owner has offered to transfer my certification over to NAUI. I'm planning on doing rescue diver this summer, so I'm wondering if having NAUI certification will get in the way of that.
If the instructor was authorized to teach while you were being taught, PADI should be able to accept the certification. Call PADI and ask. I hope you at least got some sort of refund for time lost.

Walter might tell you better, but I think Naui participates in the universal referral program. Any instructor who can do universal referral can complete his OW requirement.

NAUI does indeed participate in the Universal Referral Program.

Really, do most people ascend faster than 30 ft per minute? I can't understand why? I don't want to leave the water, so the last thing I want to do is ascend fast. That, and I pretty much do as long of a 10 ft stop as I (and the people diving with me) can stand.

That safety stop will really teach you how long 2 minutes can be.

30 AND 60 seem pretty fast to me. I don't ascend that fast.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom