NAUI to PADI

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am a NAUI and PADI Instructor and I wish we could get you up here in Alaska.
We have great diving up here and I am always trying to spread the word.
Good Luck and be safe out there.

I imagine that if you completed all the skills required as a NAUI OW diver there is no harm done. But if you did not complete the NAUI OW written exam, someone is breaking the rules to make your life easier.

Hold on a second... The PADI instructor lost his teaching lisence because of his paperwork.

Now the shop owner is offering to FIX the problem... With more bad paperwork? :rofl3:

The easiest thing to do might be to find another shop that does PADI.
Tell them whats going on and have them talk to PADI for you.
You can probably pay a small fee and just demo your skills to another PADI shop and see if they can get PADI to certify you anyhow. :shakehead:

If you go NAUI you probably will have to address the Rescue diving, Snorkling, Compass navigation... And a whole new set of manual dive Tables... No PADI dive calculator. I'd like to see another NAUI diver added, and you can only benifit from the added skills...

But PADI should be the one to help you if you already paid for PADI.

Worst case...
Tell that shop owner you want a refund (not shop credit) for the class and checkout dives (You were not given the services you paid for and they gave you an illegal instructor) then go take a differnt class at another shop or something.
You probably have a pretty good case to sue that shop if they give you a hard time... Talk to an Lawyer.

I'd certaily report them to the Better Buisness people so others do get shafted from that shop.

If the owner wants to just give you a NAUI card straight across... You might need to let NAUI know. They probably won't be too thrilled about it.

Safer Diving through education...

NAUI says ascend 30 ft. per minute unlike a lot of others that say 60.

Really? My mistake.

I think almost everyone, except PADI, teaches 30 ft/min.

Walter is correct... 10 metres or 30 feet per minute for sport diving exposures has become the closest thing to an industry norm... a whole other topic is how closely most divers follow that suggestion. I would venture less than 50 percent.

Sorry to hijack thread.

Hold on a second... The PADI instructor lost his teaching lisence because of his paperwork.

I'd certaily report them to the Better Buisness people so others do get shafted from that shop.

If the owner wants to just give you a NAUI card straight across... You might need to let NAUI know. They probably won't be too thrilled about it.

Safer Diving through education...

Yeah, that Mexican BBB will get all over that issue and straighten it right out.

Not to be a smarty, the OP's ?'s have been answered, but...

Cross agency problem and 2 countries in play?

It won't get untangled real easily.

Question that may be somewhat off topic. I am looking into this for my brother. He is working on the classroom/pool phases of his OW with NAUI. I was wondering, when he does his referal dives in OW does he also have to be with a NAUI instr. or can he do the referals with anyone.

Question that may be somewhat off topic. I am looking into this for my brother. He is working on the classroom/pool phases of his OW with NAUI. I was wondering, when he does his referal dives in OW does he also have to be with a NAUI instr. or can he do the referals with anyone.

Walter might tell you better, but I think Naui participates in the universal referral program. Any instructor who can do universal referral can complete his OW requirement.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom