Nat Geo filming LF consumption in restaurants

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There is no such animal as a Caribbean lionfish. Lionfish found in the Atlantic are an invasive species from the Pacific.
I used the descriptor another poster used, which someone else said "should only be Atlantic". The Caribbean is in the Atlantic. Reread the post string- the mention of Atlantic was redundant.

I didnt say say it was a different species, but it is a descriptor of where these fish live: a carribean lionfish lives in the carribean. There are 2 species of carribean/Atlantic lionfish. And then those 2 and 7 additional species of them in the pacific.

Last edited:
The red lionfish (Pterois volitans) is the primaryinvasive species in the Caribbean / Atlantic. It is the same species as in the Pacific. As I understand it in the Pacific, due to the lower water temps the average spawn is twice a year and everything and it’s brother eats the eggs, which controls the population. In the Caribe due to the higher water temps it spawns on steroids and nothing eats the eggs.

Last Sunday, just prior to being viciously stung by one of the little bastards while doing something stupid, I brought up a nice 12” fish for a gal on the boat who wanted one for dinner. We cleaned it during the SI at the Palancar pier and threw the scraps out to the local school of fish, which will eat everything. She was a fatty with a nice Row pouch in her belly. The local fish ate the gills, the head, the internal organs and even the bladder like a school of Piranhas but when the row pouch was thrown in they rushed up to it and then refused to eat a bite. The egg pouch sunk to the sand and they would not touch it, very strange but I think this behavior may be the basis for the invasive population explosion.

Maybe a NatGeo "Lionfish Week"? Their Shark Week shows portraying sharks as voracious man-eaters continue to desensitize the world against shark killing.

Ok...off my soapbox now :)
Shark Week is not a Nat Geo product; it is done by the Discovery Channel, a competitor.

---------- Post added August 21st, 2014 at 12:59 PM ----------

I used the descriptor another poster used, which someone else said "should only be Atlantic". The Caribbean is in the Atlantic. Reread the post string- the mention of Atlantic was redundant.

I didnt say say it was a different species, but it is a descriptor of where these fish live: a carribean lionfish lives in the carribean. There are 2 species of carribean/Atlantic lionfish. And then those 2 and 7 additional species of them in the pacific.

We know what you said, but you are missing the point. None of them are aphrodisiacs, of course, but if there is to be a rumor then make sure it does NOT apply to the Lionfish in the Pacific, their native habitat where they are not a problem, and we do NOT want them gobbled up by the Chinese or whomever. A Lionfish is a Lionfish, adding an adjective to indicate location doesn't change that.

then make sure it does NOT apply to the Lionfish in the Pacific,

I say hit 'em in the pacific too. Let them know we are serious. Maybe the Atlantic ones will return to defend the homeland?

but if there is to be a rumor then make sure it does NOT apply to the Lionfish in the Pacific,

But how could "Carribean Lionfish" refer to a lionfish in the Pacific? If it could, then so could "Atlantic Lionfish". These places aren't in the Pacific.

For whatever reason, they aren't being eaten widespread. That's unlikely to change. No one will buy that "rumor" anyway.

Actually I think that in the areas of the Atlantic and Caribe where they are becoming such a pest the word is spreading about how good they taste. Many people still have the misconception that because the spines are venomous the body is also tainted, not true, but once they have eaten some they discover what a great taste they are. Personnelly the closest comparison I can make on the taste would be to northern lake (cool water) fresh water Crappie.
Plus after watching Snappers and Grouper while diving, I feel guilty eating one, I shouldn't but I do. I feel no guilt, in fact quite the opposite, when eating a Lionfish visious little bastards that they are.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom