Nasty LiL Sea dweller

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I believe something similar to that happened in Honolulu a year or two ago. Very sad and tragic.

We were in Rockport for the 4th of July and the rain made the local conditions terrible.

One beach was closed for human waste in the water.
We could smell sewage one night, driving through parts of town.
The lift stations could not move all the water.
The boats at the marina were sitting very high- 2ft and
the water was the warmest I have ever seen it.
THey had something like 14" in three days.
The beach was only half the normal distance- displacement.

The very night of the 4th we watched the fireworks and after it rained hard all night long.
From about 10pm through the entire night.

I am surprised that someone that had diabetes and a open wound would enter the water in those conditions.

Andrew

I've seen this before on a guy who had it in the pelvic region. Ate everything away but the penis. After 2 months of daily hyberbaric treatments he got over it. ANd the massive antibiotics help to.He was a very lucky guy.He got lucky it didn't kill him and even luckier that it take take his manhood like it took every thing else below the belt.And before you ask how I saw this... I'm in the medical field and this happened a few years ago.

nubain1:
I've seen this before on a guy who had it in the pelvic region. Ate everything away but the penis. After 2 months of daily hyberbaric treatments he got over it. ANd the massive antibiotics help to.He was a very lucky guy.He got lucky it didn't kill him and even luckier that it take take his manhood like it took every thing else below the belt.And before you ask how I saw this... I'm in the medical field and this happened a few years ago.

nubain1--

Please tell me this happened in a third world country.

That particular bacterium is common in Galveston Bay, particularly during the summer months. It's one of the major reasons that shellfish beds get periodically closed down... Vibrio vulnificuslikes to hang out inside oysters.

"Flesh eating" incidents like this are quite rare, and usually caused by people cutting themselves on rocks or animal spines coated with the bacteria. I heard of one lady getting killed by Vibrio in her kitchen... she was cooking fresh crabs and cut herself on a Vibrio-inoculated claw.

I've heard that people who get a blood infection from Vibrio have a high chance of getting killed by it within a couple of days. Oh wait, that's mentioned in this very article. Yay.

If you cut yourself while in a dirty estuary, please do yourself a favor and sanitize the wound as soon as possible. And don't play with crabs.:wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom