Nassau, Never Again.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I did enjoy the bussel for a short time, to many people but hey we were on a Cruise ship hitting port (NCL jewel)

Over all I can say I will go to dive resort and never say at
Nassau, just to many nicer places that cost far less.

SC is great group but a real business, they move the people in and out. As a business that caters to cruises and first timers they do a great job.

The last time I was in Nassau was off a Norwegian Cruise Line ship. I was traveling with three non-divers. I chose a "2-tank dive" shore excursion with Stuart's Cove. They came and picked me and about 30 other people up. It wasn't until we arrived there that I was informed that I was the only 2-tank diver. Everyone else chose a "shark feeding" dive. NOT my thing. I was quite upset that I was not informed of this fact on the cruise pier, but I rolled with the punches. The offered to put me on the shark-feed dive (which, incidentally, was also a 2-tank dive, and the other tank was a regular dive). I agreed. They tried to get me to pay to rent a wetsuit. It was the summer and I did not bring one and didn't intend using one, but for obvious reasons one is required for the shark dive. I convinced them to lend me one, without charging me a fee. The dive boat staff was good. The dives were fun. I cannot recall where exactly we went, but there was a nice wreck. I opted to stay out of the circle for the shark dive and observed from a distance. Honestly, I was kind of bored, but am always glad to be underwater. Generally, I find Nassau to be pretty rundown and/or overpriced. I have just become aware of Dancer's new run out of there to the Exumas and spent the day (at work) yesterday fantasizing about that. I have dived other places in the Bahamas off of liveaboards (Juliet and Nekton) and off cruise ships, and off land. I love NW Bahamas diving!

I would do New Providence again in a heartbeat! Nassau, on the other hand, is not something I'd spend a lot of time with. We had a great time last August when we went there. Stayed at Orange Hill. Wonderful people, personal service, great atmosphere. Dove with Custom Acquatics. Wonderful people, fantastic personal service, nice equipment. I hope to get back there and do it again sometime soon.

We stayed at Orange Hill Inn in 1998 when I was there to complete my IDC/IE. Nice little place, but in town was a bit scary. We dove with Nassau Scuba Center, but I believe they are no longer in business. Heading there next fall on a Disney cruise with my son and trying to set up a dive while we are there, but without booking through the cruise line. Any suggestions? Then we plan on getting a day pass to Atlantis so the kids can play at the waterpark. I don't plan on shopping, especially not with a five-year old in tow!

We stayed at Orange Hill Inn in 1998 when I was there to complete my IDC/IE. Nice little place, but in town was a bit scary. We dove with Nassau Scuba Center, but I believe they are no longer in business. Heading there next fall on a Disney cruise with my son and trying to set up a dive while we are there, but without booking through the cruise line. Any suggestions? Then we plan on getting a day pass to Atlantis so the kids can play at the waterpark. I don't plan on shopping, especially not with a five-year old in tow!

Orange Hill is still a great little place to stay, FWIW. I would book directly with Orange Hill and/or Stuart Cove. Might be a better deal, and then you are dealing with them directly.

Orange Hill is still a great little place to stay, FWIW. I would book directly with Orange Hill and/or Stuart Cove. Might be a better deal, and then you are dealing with them directly.

Tried checking with Stuart Cove directly, but they are contracted with Disney and will not book directly with Disney passengers. :( Saw a couple of comments about Xplore Scuba, located on Paradise Island, but I can't get their website to come up.

Is that true about NSC? Shame

Hey all,

Noticed you suggested trying a liveaboard next time you want to dive around or near Nassau--THAT is an excellent idea, as I've spent a lot of time in Nassau and can understand your feelings about staying in town. The diving in the Exumas and Elleuthera is too good to miss though just because you are trying to avoid Nassau.

One liveaboard to check out is Lost Island Voyages (Bahamas Scuba Diving | Liveaboard Diving | aboard Lost Island Voyages). It has 7 day and 10 day trips that leave out of Nassau but dive in the Exumas and sometimes even down to Staniel Cay, Conception Island and San Salvador. You will also probably save a lot of money considering the trip price (around $1290 for 1 week) includes diving (average 3-4 a day), boose, food, living, etc. The only thing you pay is the flight/taxi to get to the marina and some port fees (minimal-$60) and then a tip to the crew at the end of the week.

The boat is a 65 foot sailboat that takes out 12 passengers in 6 cabins with 2 heads, 2 showers, and plenty of hot water. Then you have like one night in Nassau if you want to experience some nightlife when the crew takes you out.

Hey LIV,
I notice that *all* your posts are ads for Lost Island Voyages (LIV?).
Are you Lost Island Voyages?
If you are, saying so up front will give folks a much more favorable feeling about you and your business. I'd just say something like "One liveaboard to check out is mine - Lost Island Voyages. We offer... etc"
Just a suggestion :)
><>
Hey all,

Noticed you suggested trying a liveaboard next time you want to dive around or near Nassau--THAT is an excellent idea, as I've spent a lot of time in Nassau and can understand your feelings about staying in town. The diving in the Exumas and Elleuthera is too good to miss though just because you are trying to avoid Nassau.

One liveaboard to check out is Lost Island Voyages (Bahamas Scuba Diving | Liveaboard Diving | aboard Lost Island Voyages). It has 7 day and 10 day trips that leave out of Nassau but dive in the Exumas and sometimes even down to Staniel Cay, Conception Island and San Salvador. You will also probably save a lot of money considering the trip price (around $1290 for 1 week) includes diving (average 3-4 a day), boose, food, living, etc. The only thing you pay is the flight/taxi to get to the marina and some port fees (minimal-$60) and then a tip to the crew at the end of the week.

The boat is a 65 foot sailboat that takes out 12 passengers in 6 cabins with 2 heads, 2 showers, and plenty of hot water. Then you have like one night in Nassau if you want to experience some nightlife when the crew takes you out.

Back
Top Bottom