Nassau, Never Again.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Darol

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
Why? Too expensive for what you get, the service is lousy, off the beaten path, the place is a dump, and just down right scary. Doesn't anyone on that island pick up trash? OK the no. 10 bus is a deal, Fish Fry and Twin Brothers isn't worth the
hassel, piss poor service, and bad attitudes. Did the Shark Dive with Stewart Cove's and have to admit they run a well
organized operation. Will consider a live aboard next time. The Wyndham Hotel has seen it's better days, and I'm sure is awaiting the wrecking ball, $38 a day for gratuities for some very very sorry service. Do Not Stay There. This trip was a
great learning experience. Exuma, YES, Nassau, never again.

The key to Nassau is, DON'T STAY IN TOWN/NASSAU, let alone, a big commercial hotel, i.e. Wyndam. If there is a next time for you, stay closer to Stuart Cove at Orange Hill Motel, Compass Point or the Marley Resort in Cable Beach. You will get way better food, more of an "island experience", and be minutes from Stuart Cove. These are all more of a botique hotel experience, 3 different budgets, and far enough away from "the big city".

The Wyndhamhas been going downhill for a number of years.
It is located at the edge of the area that is being touted as "the (next-my word) major upgrade to Cable Beach".
I'm not sure, but I have a feeling that it is going to be demolished as a part of that upgrade, and that , sadly, management is playing out the string.

Ive been to Nassau about 4 times on a cruise. The first was the worst. When we got off the cruise there it looked like we were rock and roll celebrities. Hundreds and hundreds of the locals screaming and shouting trying to crowd the gate to the terminal so they could sell things to the tourist. Kind of looked liked the bull pit on wall street. The rest of the times we went were less dramatic as they supposedly cleaned it up a little. But none the less you get approached by people trying to sell you dope all over town, you almost get ran over by the locals with poor driving. Too me its just not worth it.

I'll concur that Nassau was not a good value; we were there for a week over Thanksgiving. My wife had a conference to attend so we stretched it into a week. Our summary was five-star prices and three-star at best quality for restaurants and the hotel -we were at Atlantis for the conference.

However, there were bright spots:

Xplore Scuba was incredibly flexible and even took us out twice when we were the only two on the boat.

Bahama Divers was a gracious group of people.

Mainly, though, we remember the people. The Bahamanians we encountered were the friendliest, kindest group of people I could ever hope to meet. Always had a smile, always had a gracious word. Perhaps we'll get to try an out island one day.

I had a great time at Nassau this past August. I stayed at the Towne Hotel which cost like $32/night and is in the middle of downtown. Yea its not fancy but it had working AC, friendly staff and i was there to dive not sit in a resort so no need to pay 100+/night for a room on the beach. I dove with Stuart Cove, they would pick me up right in front of the hotel. First day there ended up being dive buddy with another guy traveling on his own and me and him would hit the town every night together.

Only time people would offer to sell me drugs would be at night near the senor frogs bar but its not like they chase you down. They just ask in a hushed tone when you walk by.

When we stay in Nassau it is Paradise Island only. We did not like the agressiveness of the straw market and thats coming from some ex New Yorkers :rofl3:

Bahama Divers were very nice and we did enjoy Atlantis. You pay a little more but some places you really get what you pay or dont pay for

Even if you do not stay there a trip to Atlantis is worth the trip. One of the neatest places I have ever seen. My wife and i went, planned on spending an hour or so and ended up staying almost all day. The aquariums are awesome. One day we hope to return and bring our kids.

Haha yeah I was at Atlantis over the summer and it was the biggest waste of money. The resort itself nickels and dimes you like crazy and we were constantly disappointed at the rudeness of the employees. We spent the week diving with Stuart Cove's (which was like 45 min from Paradise Island) but was totally worth it. I would definitely recommend Stuart Cove's and Atlantis was certainly amazing but it was so expensive that I constantly felt guilty for spending so much money.

Back
Top Bottom