Nassau diving from shore or Black beards?

Diving in Nassau

• Black Beards

Votes: 6 85.7%
  • Stay on island dive from shore

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Stay On island dive with operator

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Ft, lauderdale, ie Other.

Votes: 1 14.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SailNaked

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
We have a flight credit I need to use before June 15th so considering either diving from land or from LA.
last option may be ft, lauderdale. We dive a lot and the 20 dives on BB LA is very tempting.

Shore diving on New Providence Island isn't very good--if you don't do Blackbeards you'll probably have to go with a company such as Stuart Cove's or Bahamas Divers. If lots of dives is what you want, you'll get much more value going on a Blackbeards cruise.

The logistics of diving with Cove's make doing 20 dives in a week a lot more difficult. It's possible if you want to spend all 5 days at their property. They're about 45minutes from Nassau, most major hotels are either on Paradise Island or in the Cable Beach area on the north side - Cove's is on the south side. They do have a free shuttle though.

For that reason alone I'd go with Blackbeards.

If you can spend around $1500/pp. + fees/taxes - check with Lost Island Voyages or Cat Ppalu (the other Blackbeards affiliated operation) Both leave from Nassau and are sailboats. Cat PPalu will look like a full boat charter on their website but they often sell extra spaces.

Both are much nicer accommodations than BlackBeards - and probably less crowded. Certainly the showers are better.
And it's nice to actually have a non-share cabin. Some of the bigger berths on BlackBeards are immediately adjacent to the galley - just a curtain between you and it. The Cat has one lower double berth, below the main deck - the rest are one deck above. But it has an underwater viewport. I've never seen LIV's boat - Avalon. But have heard it's pretty nice.

Bahama Divers is on the Nassau side of the Paradise Island bridge but only does 3 dives/day.

There's also Explore Scuba on Paradise Island - IDK anything about them.

There's No shore diving on Nassau, the reef is too far out. Except one shallow dive on one end of the island.
Landshark divers tried to make a go of that, they're out of business. And booked their boat dives thru Cove's anyway.

Those are all the Nassau options.

I absolutely LOVED Blackbeards, but know what it entails. It is not a luxury boat but it is FUN and great diving. You will have bunks and very limited space, no privacy, good food, lots of dives, plenty of beautiful scenes.

Can you please tell me about that dive?

I am planning to attempt the high speed ferry form Ft Laud or Miami to the Bahamas for 1-2 days of diving, Since he ferry seems to arrive too late to make a boat dive the first day and leaves too early to do an afternoon boat dive the next day, that leaves only one morning boat trip. I woul dlike to know my options. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.

There's No shore diving on Nassau, the reef is too far out. Except one shallow dive on one end of the island.
Landshark divers tried to make a go of that, they're out of business. And booked their boat dives thru Cove's anyway.

Those are all the Nassau options.[/QUOTE]

Can you please tell me about that dive?

I am planning to attempt the high speed ferry form Ft Laud or Miami to the Bahamas for 1-2 days of diving, Since he ferry seems to arrive too late to make a boat dive the first day and leaves too early to do an afternoon boat dive the next day, that leaves only one morning boat trip. I would like to know my options. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.

This Ferry? https://www.ferryexpress.com/wps/portal/comercial/home_us_en?estrecho=3&resetPortlet=true
Bahamas Express is a company dedicated to maritime transport, that offers fast-ferry service between Port Everglades (Florida) and the Bahamas (Bimini and Grand Bahama island).
It doesn't go to Nassau. Nassau is on New Providence Island. I've been to but haven't dove on Grand Bahama (Freeport) but I believe the same issue exists there. There is this thread about it: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/bahamas/370219-shore-diving-near-freeport.html

IDK about Bimini but afaik for Bahamas shore diving you need to fly into the Abacos.
Almost all the Abacos' Cays offer shore diving opportunities with reefs and coral heads as close as 1' below the surface and 5 yards from the beach (esp. Manjack, Great Guana and Green Turtle Cays).
Diving and snorkeling in The Bahamas Abacos, Including Local Knowledge, Maps and Helpful Vacation Tips

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom