Narrow Eustachian tubes and diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lord1234

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
My wife has struggled with very narrow eustachian tubes and difficulty clearing. When she uses Afrin(name brand only) at least an hour before dives, she can dive just fine, but without she can barely clear past 5 feet. We're considering a ballon sinuplasty as a remedy, but am wondering if there are any other solutions.

I dive with Afrin and Mucinex knockoffs all the time for the same reason.I prefer that to surgery.
300-400+ dives a year for many years.
I get reverse blocks if I don't use something. Very painful and nd annoying as well as a threat to any deco schedule.

Two things I use / used with success. Following an op to open my tubes a couple of years ago I started with the Pro Ear mask (Pro Ear Masks - IST Sports) and continued diving, seach SB there are a few discussions around this mask. Early this year I changed to Docs Proplugs (Doc's Proplugs: The Doctor's Choice for Ear Protection) and use them on every dive now. Maybe she can try these.

I dive with Afrin and Mucinex knockoffs all the time for the same reason.I prefer that to surgery.
300-400+ dives a year for many years.
I get reverse blocks if I don't use something. Very painful and annoying as well as a threat to any deco schedule.

Do you find yourself addicted to Afrin? How many days in a row will you use it?

A good ENT can help you. I also have issues and dive almost every day. My ENT prescribed Fluticasone/Flonas as it is non addictive as Afrin and can use it everyday. Has worked great for me. I also have a friend that used Doc Ear Plugs and it works great for her.

This is super interesting. Do you suggest just using Afrin, or a Prescription strength like Nasacort?

I dive with Afrin and Mucinex knockoffs all the time for the same reason.

As a pharmacist, please permit me to chime in a little bit here... guaifenesin (Mucinex) is no better than being adequately hydrated. Really. (I hate the overuse of medication, so I can't help myself when the opportunity presents itself to dispel a myth or misunderstanding.) That said, if it works for you, by all means continue. It wouldn't be the first time someone benefits from a medication through a different-than-expected or unexplainable mechanism. Even if it's a placebo effect, sometimes it just works and there's no convincing people otherwise.

And +1 on the oxymetazoline causing rebound effects, that shouldn't be misinterpreted as addiction. systemic decongestants are also a great option. note it's worth going up to the pharmacy counter and showing your driver's license to get the pseudoephedrine; phenylephrine off the shelf is a distant second.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom