Difficulty equalising with KM37

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Graeme Fraser

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Don't know if anyone has experienced, and hopefully got tips to overcome, difficulty clearing ears with a Kirby Morgan 37.

A bit of background; I've never had problems with half mask, FFM, Band Mask or even the KM17B, but I've really struggled with the 37. My ears are fine on the surface and clear easily on ascent. I've tried different hat liners and nose dam positions, but to no avail. Up to now, I've been able to just take it easy on descent, but going to be using LARS repeatedly next week at a rate of 20mpm and worried that my ears just won't catch up. I know I can call "all stop" if all else fails, but don't want to mess things up, especially as we're doing SurDO2 drills so on a tight schedule.

I'm sure my eustachian tubes are clear, but maybe the top of my neck / jowls are being forced up, pitching or distorting them with the hat on. I honestly don't know. Any tips or advice from working divers or docs would be very welcome.

Have you had any sense of a reverse block? Is the neck dam uncomfortably tight?
No, ears are clearing naturally on ascent and, if anything, the neck dam is a little loose. I've tried a couple with no noticeable difference.

How did your LARS training go?

For other readers: LARS stands for Launch and Recovery System, basically a small (relatively) handling system for commercial diving operations, usually surface-supplied. It may launch a stage/basket, wet bell or tool package. Example:

1648050568361.png

There are some alternatives in the works. This is my 27 with parts in dev. Changes the ergonomics quite a bit.

Attachments

• SmartSelect_20220326-212840_Instagram.jpg
    SmartSelect_20220326-212840_Instagram.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 117

For other readers: LARS stands for Launch and Recovery System, basically a small (relatively) handling system for commercial diving operations, usually surface-supplied. It may launch a stage/basket, wet bell or tool package. Example:

Hi Akimbo

Sorry for the late response, only just got back. Yes, it went very well. Much better than climbing a tall ladder that's for sure.

I was pleasantly surprised how straightforward it was to keep within the surface interval for SurdO2. I was doubtful we'd manage 40ft to surface, strip, blown to 50ft in the chamber and on BIBS, all within 5 minutes. I thought it'd initially take us about 7 minutes with much shouting and swearing by the supervisors but, out of 24 runs, we only exceeded once at 5.04. Strangely enough, it was bringing the LARS up from surface and docking which seemed to take forever.

Still struggled a bit clearing on the 17k, but managed. Although the worry was not being able to control my descent in the LARS, I was able to use both hands to force the lid away from my right ear. Old rugby injuries including a deviated septum probably don't help.

Thanks for your help.

Cool. I like the seat, very civilised. Ours was a two man cage.

Attachments

• IMG-2314.jpg
    IMG-2314.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 98
I was pleasantly surprised how straightforward it was to keep within the surface interval for SurdO2. I was doubtful we'd manage 40ft to surface, strip, blown to 50ft in the chamber and on BIBS, all within 5 minutes.

Considering that stages and Sur-D-O2 were developed and practiced the heavy gear era, it is pretty easy to meet the 5 minute limit in modern lightweight gear. Thankfully, I only had to use heavy gear in training. The stage "handling system" was a cargo boom and hydraulic winches — a significant upgrade to the steam winches when they were first used in the 1930s.

1648837239720.png

Can you imagine swinging off the side from one of these in open sea?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom