Narc'ed - what does it do to you

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cobaltbabe:
Sometimes it's not quantity of the dives but quality of the dives. I would rather do 10 dives of totally awsome dives then 100 dives of blah.
I agree completely .... although I think everyone has a place or two that is sort of a default "let's get wet site just for the sake of getting wet". Mine has been Big Bay Point, which I've found not to be too bad as there's plenty of variety as far as depth is concerned, as well as things to see. But I've always found a way to make subsquent dives there interesting.....

Warren_L:
I agree completely .... although I think everyone has a place or two that is sort of a default "let's get wet site just for the sake of getting wet". Mine has been Big Bay Point, which I've found not to be too bad as there's plenty of variety as far as depth is concerned, as well as things to see. But I've always found a way to make subsquent dives there interesting.....

Warren,
I can make a 15 foot dive fun with the right dive partner!! Love watching their faces as you purge their regs, or grab a fin and hold on or any variety of fun things.

I always have fun on my dives,,, I pulled out a "plastic imitation cell phone" on one dive and went through the motions of placing a call and then passed it to my DM. You should have seen the facial expressions (lol)

BTW: I haven't exprienced narcosis yet but I'll try to be ready for it when it happens .

Al

Warren_L:

Definately a good place to get wet and far too underrated. The first 50 feet is hard to silt out, a variety of depth, the ability to practice line work, and any other number of good reasons why it is an excellent training site.

cobaltbabe:
If I wasn't a mod and didn't have to behave I would so give you a smack. LOL

Actually my goal is the Ganilda. I would love to see her just once in my life and be able to say I was there. I don't have to set any records or have all my gear match, just want to explore, and maybe join a special underwater club (Not to be mentioned on the open board :wink: ).

The Gunilda is definately a worthy reason to work yourself up to a high technical level. Bottoms out at 280 feet and is definately on my list of dives to do sometime in the next few years.

d33ps1x:
Definately a good place to get wet and far too underrated. The first 50 feet is hard to silt out, a variety of depth, the ability to practice line work, and any other number of good reasons why it is an excellent training site.

Don't forget the Kempenfelt Bay Monster!

d33ps1x:
The Gunilda is definately a worthy reason to work yourself up to a high technical level. Bottoms out at 280 feet and is definately on my list of dives to do sometime in the next few years.

My timeline isn't that ambitious. Granted I am not as young as you are either. I would like alot more experience before I get to her.

Snowbear:
Sorry - I'll try to clear it up...
IIRC, it was ~110' to the mud and ~90'+ at the deck.
You are correct. The Helium replaces some of the Nitrogen, reducing the narcotic effects of the Nitrogen. Yes. There is very little difference in the narcotic effects of air vs nitrox. The O2 decreases the amount of Nitrogen your body absorbs. There is very little effect on the narcotic effect. The Helium is what changes that.The gas switch at 70' was from 30/30 (30% Helium, 30% Oxygen, the rest - 40% - Nitrogen) to the deco gas, which was 50% Nitrox. The narcosis that hit me was surprisingly strong at only 70', which is a depth most folks say they don't get narced. If I descend to 70' on an EAN or Air mix, I don't generally notice much effect at 70'. It was when switching from the very low narcotic potential of the 30/30 to the higher narcotic potential of the Nitrox that I noticed the effect.

Does that help?
Yes thanks! Sorry I didn't read your post until this morning... For some reason my browser wasn't updating.

Anyway, after reviewing my Nitrox manual I see my misunderstanding about EAN (effectively) reducing narcosis, and you just confirmed that. It sounds like adding Helium is the way to go... I'll have to check into a Tech1 class.

Thanks,

Jerry

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom