Name those seconds !

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JohnN

ScubaBoard Sponsor
ScubaBoard Sponsor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Once I acquired a 'modern' double-hose regulator, local divers have been giving me all sorts of odd equipment.

Today for your viewing pleasure are an "old" ScubaPro and an "older" Calypso second.

The Calypso looks like it had snaps for a gag strap and the ScubaPro appears to have an adjustable cracking pressure knob

Insights into what these are and the approximate time they were used/introduced would be most appreciated.
Vintage_seconds.jpg

As Lex said, SP 109. It's the spiritual predecessor to the g250 (a 109 with G250 poppet assembly becomes a balanced adjustable).
The other is an Aqualung Calypso... Early 60s. Functionally the same as a metal Conshelf, but has a very small exhaust mushroom and the screw on T. I like them, but the exhaust effort is noticeably higher. I also make 3d printed functional replacements for the T (not replicas).

Respectfully,

James

As Lex said, SP 109. It's the spiritual predecessor to the g250 (a 109 with G250 poppet assembly becomes a balanced adjustable).
The other is an Aqualung Calypso... Early 60s. Functionally the same as a metal Conshelf, but has a very small exhaust mushroom and the screw on T. I like them, but the exhaust effort is noticeably higher. I also make 3d printed functional replacements for the T (not replicas).

Respectfully,

James
Ok, if James can make the exhaust tee it may not be a paper weight.

James hit the nail on the head! If you can find someone willing to service that Calypso and it doesn’t have significant internal damage, it will behave almost like the near mythical Conshelf XIV… just slightly more effort on exhaust, and I bet you won’t even notice it. I have a C XIV and an Aquarius second stage (essentially the same “box”) and I swear by them.
🐸

Ok, if James can make the exhaust tee it may not be a paper weight.

I have these USD second stage (Calypso J Model and Calypso), early 1085s. Bought the J new in 1966. They have a very small exhaust valve and IMO are dangerous to use beyond a swimming pool. I explored many a shallow lake bottom and seagrass bank with mine and still have it and it is still fully functional. Being 12yo the places my dad would put me down on were not very deep.

This one, a Calypso (also bought new in the day as separates), actually has a larger exhaust valve though still very restrictive.

I used it some as a pony bottle but then thought better of it:

Note the difference in exhaust valves of my 1966 Calypso J and then the slightly later (1970?) Calypso version below (that was on the pony bottle):

And then to a Conshelf XIV which also has a huge exhaust plenum on the backside:

The old dacor pacers have large double exhaust valves. You guys must love thiose old brass second stages. I have used a metal pacer second stage for my pony for a long time. I have several spares and still use the old beat up one. Seems to work well.

Nemrod, I bow to your superior knowledge with regards to the exhaust valve… I never knew the difference was that significant! I’ll keep on using my late style 1085 seconds, especially the 1980 vintage one I got NOS in the early ‘90s And just took to the Bahamas!
🐸

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom