Nakhon Si Thammerat where to go

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

h90

Contributor
Reaction score
In future I'll be more in Nakhon. But where to dive there??
On the golf side, as it seems up and down isn't much interesting, or??

Driving to Krabi: We tried but weather bad....
Local dives I got told they are pretty shallow and murky (no problem with bad vis, but I don't like "deep snorkeling". Koh Phi Phi...Can that be reached with with a longtail boat? I read there Hin Daeng Hin Muang. How far, how good is that?

Or better go to Trang??

I think Koh Kra is near there, but AFAIK, there's nothing organized to take you there, and it's quite a ways off shore, so you probably have to hire a speedboat or something, and of course supply all your own tanks, weights, equipment. I've heard that there's coral and decent fish life, but that the viz can be so-so. Also in that general area is Koh Losin, which is said to offer pretty good diving, but again, access isn't easy, and I think it's usually reached by liveaboard.

I think Koh Kra is near there, but AFAIK, there's nothing organized to take you there, so you probably have to hire a longtail or something, and of course supply all your own tanks, weights, equipment. I've heard that there's coral and decent fish life, but that the viz isn't all that. Also in that general area is Koh Losin, which is said to offer pretty good diving, but again, access isn't easy, and I think it's usually reached by liveaboard.

Is Koh Kra reachable, I estimate a 60+ km. So 2 ways are 120 km. I don't know what a longtail can do and how it is on the open water. But good idea.
Soon I have own tank and own compressor there.
Closer is on my chart a "dangerous area" which often refers to some stones getting close to the surface....maybe some interesting place???

Yeah, I had tried to fix that and change "longtail" to "speedboat" and add some links to the text, but somehow instead of editing, it posted the fixes as a separate message. Sorry about that. I realized that it would be too far for a longtail and you'd need a boat with a bit more oomph to get you there and back. Even so, it will take a while!

longtail will be easy to get, a lot of muslim fishermen, both my wife (who is doing most translation as my Thai is not good enough to brake the ice). speedboat I think almost impossible.
Longtail if it need say 5 hours one way it will be extreme boring.
But maybe the fishermen know some different place (I don't care much about viz)

I guess it depends on what part of Nakhon you'll be based at, but I do think you can get speedboats from around Khanom area since there's that new NP right there (Mu Koh Thalae Tai).

Quero, you are right.....It didn't come in my mind that the province is called Nakhon...
I stay in town Nakhon so Khanom is far away.
I saw there many new hotels, all complete empty, a new pier with longtail boats waiting with 0 customer. Don't know wrong planning or if I was just out of season.
Supposed to have pink dolphins there....
What is "new NP"?

The diving at Koh Kra isn't all that great.

There is some very nice snorkeling with a bunch of blacktip reef sharks in 2 meter of water or less at Hin Sung.
You will not see them while on scuba (and not even when you bring a bucket with fish-guts under water with you) but they will be all around you when you snorkel.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom