Nail Polish

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

raviepoo

Contributor
Reaction score
in exile in the Pennsyltucky Archipellago
# of dives
500 - 999
I need to keep laquer on my nails to keep them from chipping, cracking, peeling and breaking. I need long (ish) nails in order to do certain things (which shall be left to the imagination) which just don't work well without nails. Every time I dive my nail polish peels right off in sheets.

Is there a nail polish out there that holds up to salt water and/or chlorine?

Do you have fake nails or real?
My acrylic nails always held up in chlorine. ANd I had acrylic nails on one time while diving and the polish never came off.
What kind of nail polish do you use?? If it's Luv My Nails then yeah, I can definitley see that cheapo stuff coming off.
I use Sally Hansen a lot (on real nails and fake) and it seems to do well in the water. I just make sure it has a clear coat on top of it.

Amber

I've used cheap and expensive polish and they both eventually peel off when diving every day...say on a dive trip. One thing I have noticed is when I have them polished at a salon where they use the topcoat that is dried under that ultraviolet light, the polish is like car paint and stays on no matter what I do to it!

Another tip that helps is to paint the top coat under your nail tips.

I've never been able to keep any type of nail polish on longer than a day after application - it's gotten to where I just don't bother anymore. I swim a lot more than I dive, but the time in the water is just terrible for a manicure. When I do use polish though, it's OPI.

I'll have to try some of these recommendations.

I saw this thread. I don't seem to be able to do anything about the fingers, but I have noticed on toes at least that the pearlized shades tend to hold up better than the plain.

I have had long real nails and long fake nails. And let me tell you the polish seems to last longer on fake acrylic nails. In and out of water I have been able to keep color on the fakes for up to two weeks. Something with the acrylic makes the polish stay longer. :life:

use several coats of clear top finish, make sure the tips are well coated and do the back of nail. Use a good product, the newer the better (Orly, OPI) . Older stuff breaks down more under exposure. As for brand - we have a store called ULTA. I have problems getting that off using polish remover.

Theres one real way to solve it....dive dry! Also, how do you wear gloves with long nails? Or do you just stay above most of the thermos?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom