NACD Conference and Wayne's World Cleanup

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pdoege

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hey guys -

I had planned to go to the 35th NACD conference. After a series of gaffes I got to the area very late and decided to go diving instead.

Yay!

Went over to Ginnie. My cavern card has not come in yet, and I don't have a temp card. So my gate entry technique was based on chutzpah. Worked well.

Armed with a cavern arm band I sallied forth to the ballroom and did line drills, lights out drills, and etc. Got "paddled" by tuber while doing a lights out line drill. If I ever get whacked by an inland cave shark I'll be ready for it :)

Went into the ballroom and practiced bouyancy. A little harder to negotiate the tighter areas with the 104s.

Exited on 1/6ths.

Chatted up a few other cavers during my SI. Mark from Cocoa/Melbourne and an instructor by the name of Sid (Cid?). Nice guys.

Next up was Little Devil, Eye, and Ear. Little devil is a bit too tiny for back mount. I didn't get far.

After a quick SS I was off to the eye. Some of the OW divers in the passage had really long fins. They laid down a silt trail that was a thing to behold. Force fins also put down a big vortex.

I calculated 1/6ths again, and into the eye. Very pretty. I managed pick the narrow part of the entrance, again. One of these days I'll pick the easy side.

My HID died as I neared the main line. Fricking EO connectors! Deployed a backup and made my exit. The eye was stuffed full of an OW class, so I spent some time hanging out just inside the entrance. Just chilling. Quite nice actually.

I still had 3 lights, so I could have done the ear. It was late and I had to be back in O-town for a party at 8pm, so I turned the dive and headed back upstream.

No reel jams! A good day when that happens.

I had tried to secure a new E/O-less cord for the HID that morning at EE. No dice. I think I'll pick up a stealth canister and cord.

Sunday morning brought the Wayne's World cleanup. Wayne's World is a little sink in Hudson FL just off of the West coast. An hour or so North of Tampa.

The sink was pretty yucky. Mattresses, condoms, a floating refridgerator (!), tons of beer cans and bottles. We cleaned and picked up and raked. One of us hopped in with a side mount rig to check out the bottom. He came up with a complete bed, chair, logs, and (after a large amount of bubbles) a lift bag came up with a rather nice bicycle attached.

Wow!

We congradulated ourselves on our success and retired to eat lunch at a local BBQ spot.

Yum!

Lots of good fun and companionship.

Peter

:doctor:
Hey good Job on WW. I use that system a lot and always seem to bring garbage up from depth. Easy access and the locals dump their trash and stolen stuff. We need to keep better eyes on such places

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom