Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Somehow I get the feeling that those who make the laws are not required to follow them.
Maybe we should never forget a quotation from Mao Zedong "Power comes out of the barrel of a gun."

Unfortunatly, those who were in the Navy have a different understanding of what a "Gun" is.

Michael

My wife and I owned a small software company called BV Engineering, which sued the state of California over copyright violations and started the Copyright Remedy Clarification Act of 1990. UCLA pirated 11 different software products properly copyrighted by BV Engineering and refused to pay for their thefts when we confronted them. This went all the way to the Supreme Court of the USA, which refused the hear the case.

We then notified many larger organizations that had a lot more to lose, such as the book publishers, movie makers, etc. who hired lobbyists to petition Congress to change the Constitution to force States to obey copyright laws.

During congressional hearings, in order to get the required votes to get the new law passed, my wife and I agreed to allow the law to be non-retroactive. This meant that the States would not be held financially responsible for past transgressions, but also meant we would not financially benefit from the law change. This hurt but we swallowed the bitter pill so that valid copyright holders could benefit from their hard work.

It really sucks to hear that all that work and effort has been for naught now.

We left California 26 years ago to find a better life in New Zealand. Best decision we have ever made. The diving here is incredible, the people friendly and the government doesn't screw you.

My wife and I owned a small software company called BV Engineering, which sued the state of California over copyright violations and started the Copyright Remedy Clarification Act of 1990. UCLA pirated 11 different software products properly copyrighted by BV Engineering and refused to pay for their thefts when we confronted them. This went all the way to the Supreme Court of the USA, which refused the hear the case.

We then notified many larger organizations that had a lot more to lose, such as the book publishers, movie makers, etc. who hired lobbyists to petition Congress to change the Constitution to force States to obey copyright laws.

During congressional hearings, in order to get the required votes to get the new law passed, my wife and I agreed to allow the law to be non-retroactive. This meant that the States would not be held financially responsible for past transgressions, but also meant we would not financially benefit from the law change. This hurt but we swallowed the bitter pill so that valid copyright holders could benefit from their hard work.

It really sucks to hear that all that work and effort has been for naught now.

We left California 26 years ago to find a better life in New Zealand. Best decision we have ever made. The diving here is incredible, the people friendly and the government doesn't screw you.
You learn every day.
Here is some background information: Copyright Remedy Clarification Act

"A documentary filmmaker... "

You should edit this to read "We..."

Spamming the forum pretending to be a dis-interested party doesn't help your case.
None of us here are going to be deciding the case, so making a post everyday pretending you aren't the plaintiff benefits no one.

I am not sure how it looks as though they are a di-interested party when the user name is the exact nae of the film company in the lawsuit. Had they used any other username I would agree with you but that is not the case.

Back
Top Bottom