Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nautilusvideo

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
The state isn't talking about these lawsuits publicly. But since Allen filed his suit, a nonprofit set up to raise funds for the state's QAR project, Friends of the Queen Anne's Revenge, which is also named in the lawsuits, filed for dissolution in March. Allen filed an amended complaint in March, adding some 80 additional alleged violations of copyright infringement. N.C. Photographer Sues State Alleging Copyright Infringement of Shipwreck Images | Fstoppers

One to watch.

This article could get a bit confusing; it is about the US state of North Carolina changing an anti-piracy law so it could use the internet to copy and share somebody else’s documentary videos… which happen to be about pirates of the nautical variety! US State Changes Law To Steal Pirate Video

Isn't this old news? Like about a year ago?

Pirates not welcome here! That was the message U.S. District Judge Terrence W. Boyle delivered Thursday, March 23, 2017 to the North Carolina Department of Natural and Cultural Resources (NCDNCR), its employees and the Friends of Queen Anne’s Revenge in response to their motion to dismiss a Federal lawsuit brought by Nautilus Productions LLC. In rejecting the defendants’ attempt to dismiss the copyright claims, Judge Boyle noted that protection of copyrights is a “right of such importance to the founders that it was, unique among most functions undertaken by the federal government today, expressly mentioned in Article I as an important protection to be ensured by the national government.” Judge Boyle’s decision allows the lawsuit for copyright infringement and for a declaration of the statute’s invalidity to move forward in Federal court. Read more - Blackbeard's Lawsuit | Nautilus Productions

I like it. States cannot override federal copyright law.

The amendment to Blackbeard's Law looks like NC recognized the copyright law problem in the law as originally written.

Yeah.. I've come to this thread and cancelled my post several times today. I can definitely see merit on both sides. On one side, the very correct and logical argument is that copying != stealing. If it was, I sure wish someone had merely copied my son's bike last year... On the other hand, the video company does deserve some compensation. I think it affects my judgement that it seems to be the govmint who is doing the copying if I understand correctly. However, I definitely don't think someone (or a company) should get to keep making money selling the same thing over and over without transferring ownership of that thing to the buyer...

Kind of an annoying conundrum.

Does anyone else find it ironic that it's a piracy suit about pirates? That, at least, is chuckle worthy.

However, I definitely don't think someone (or a company) should get to keep making money selling the same thing over and over without transferring ownership of that thing to the buyer...

Back in the day, before the digital revolution, it was straightforward: You sell a book of photos, and the seller transfers ownership of the book to the buyer, but not the copyrights to the photos, the arrangement of the book, etc.

We buy songs, but not the copyright to start printing CDs. But businesses an play records for customers. So the government handing is out copies, not just showing on a website, which prevents the copyright owner from profiting from their labor and investment.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom