Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

With Blackbeard’s ship, an argument about 21st century piracy lands in Supreme Court
At issue in the case, brought by a videographer who has filmed the wreckage of the Queen Anne’s Revenge since it was discovered in 1996, is a broad question of whether authors, musicians, video producers and others may sue a state agency and collect damages if the government makes use of their works without permission.Recent rulings have left “states free to infringe copyrights with impunity, with nothing to deter them from that bad behavior,” the recording industry said in its brief supporting the appeal. With Blackbeard’s ship, an argument about 21st century piracy lands in Supreme Court

I am happy to be able to put in a few words regarding States abusing copyright.

The CRCA (Copyright Clarification Act) was instigated by my wife and myself when UCLA, a state university, pirated numerous copies of 7 different software programs properly copyrighted by our small company see "BV Engineering vs UCLA copyrig BV Engineering v. University of California, 858 F.2d 1394 | Casetext

If it had been a private school such as USC they would have been liable but the State if California claimed that we had no right for justice because you can't take a State to Federal court. You have to seek recess in State courts. Since States are not allowed to have their own copyright laws (because the there would be 50 different ones) we were in a catch 22 situation - no redress in State courts and no redress in Federal courts.

In the end we agreed to non-retroactive justice if the copyright laws were changed to specifically include the States. Testified before a congressional hearing in the Rayburn building in Washington DC on CSPAN TV to settle the deal.

Got so disgusted with California that we decided to move our company out of California and do our diving in New Zealand instead

A lawsuit from NC about Blackbeard’s pirate ship will go before the U.S. Supreme Court on Tuesday, and the outcome is expected to have far-reaching implications for numerous businesses and individuals who make money from creating and selling copyrighted works, such as songs, books, pictures, videos and computer software. Pirate ship lawsuit from Fayetteville goes to Supreme Court on Tuesday

In January 2011, Rick Allen lost his left arm below the elbow and suffered second- and third-degree burns after a scuba tank exploded and caught fire in his garage. He spent three months in the hospital, two of them in a medically induced coma. But 10 months after the accident, Allen — the owner of Fayetteville-based Nautilus Productions — was back in the water, diving on the pirate Blackbeard’s ship. On Tuesday, Allen was at the U.S. Supreme Court as his lawyers argued that Allen and Nautilus Productions should be able to sue the state of North Carolina for copyright infringement. https://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/politics-government/article237019034.html

2D5014C1-67BF-4C47-A612-EB2343FCB2D1.png
It is on the list of Supreme Court actions, but i have not heard their decision?

They haven't made one yet. Oral arguments were made last week, they'll deliberate now then rule and release an opinion. I would imagine it will be a little bit before they do.

Is there an expected length of time? Early Dec?
I’d go to DC then and hold a protest sign, but I think these SCOTUS are numb by now.

Back
Top Bottom